Faculty Advisor: Juan L Calisto, MD
GSSA is the national student-run global surgery working group for the U.S., affiliated with InciSioN (the International Student Surgical Network). We believe that students are a valuable resource for the advancement of global surgery. We also believe that being unified in our efforts will help further our initiatives and can also facilitate more collaboration amongst overall global surgery efforts, both now and in the future. By exposing students to the field early on, we also hope to help them build their surgical careers with global surgery in mind. Ultimately, many students are willing and able to make significant contributions to global surgery, and we hope to be a resource that facilitates those efforts.
Mission: To educate, inspire, and unite students through engagement and mentorship in global surgery, including anesthesia & OB/Gyn.
- To create awareness about and to advocate for global surgery
- To educate students about global surgery and sustainable interventions
- To advance research in global surgery through student involvement
- To connect students who are interested in global surgery across the country and world
- To facilitate communication and mentorship between students and current global surgeons, OB/Gyns, and anesthesiologists.
- To foster the development of the next generation of global surgeons, OB/Gyns, and anesthesiologists
Co-President: Hani Samarah
Co-President: Venus Liu