The Department of Ophthalmology was established in the Fall of 2008 as part of the new FIU College of Medicine.
Vision and goals
The Department of Ophthalmology is both a valuable community resource, as well as a nationally and internationally recognized center for excellence in clinical care, research, and education in ophthalmology.
Our goals are to establish a supportive environment to promote the highest standards of education, outstanding clinical service, and novel research approaches in the field of visual sciences. These goals will be accomplished by:
- Providing a community-based ophthalmological training
- Fostering rigorous education for our graduates
- Engendering excellent and compassionate clinical care
- Creating new scientific and interdisciplinary research initiatives to advance the treatment of eye diseases
- Developing collaborative efforts encompassing local, national, and international educators and investigators
- Recruiting and mentoring faculty of the highest quality
Florida International University
Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Department of Ophthalmology
11200 SW 8th Street, AHC2 675
Faculty & staff
Pedro F. Lopez, M.D.
Chair, Department of Ophthalmology; and Professor
Center for Excellence in Eye Care, 8940 North Kendall Drive, Suite 400-E, Miami, FL 33176
Charles J. Kaiser, M.D.
Vice Chair of Education, Department of Ophthalmology; and Associate Professor
William B. Trattler, M.D.
Vice Chair of Research, Department of Ophthalmology; and Associate Professor