The Department of Interventional Radiology was founded in 2018 and is one of the first departments of its kind. As a new clinical field in medicine, Interventional Radiology is one of the most rapidly-advancing and important fields of clinical care based on numbers of annual manuscripts published, new procedures developed, and unique solutions to complex problems. Interventional Radiology crosses all organ systems and many fields in clinical medicine, continuously striving to provide new and less invasive solutions to diverse clinical problems spanning from cancers to cardiovascular diseases. This field combines imaging, medical devices, and other technologies relevant to clinical practice.
Led by nationally reputable pioneers in this new specialty in medicine, this department will bring both academia and clinical medicine together to advance the field of minimally invasive image-guided therapy as both a technical and clinical specialty in medicine.
To support the mission and vision of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. We will support the HWCOM by bringing an advanced understanding of the clinical principles of image-guided therapy, and by benefitting our patients, faculty and community with minimally invasive solutions to common, rare, and/or challenging clinical problems. We want to inspire students and faculty to challenge the status quo in terms of procedural medicine for better, less invasive solutions that incorporate strong multidisciplinary models of care.
- Provide intensive undergraduate education in the specialty and in concepts of image-guided therapy
- Support the implementation of post-graduated education that is in strongly integrated into clinical practice and the community
- Ensure our academic and clinical communities are considered national leaders in the field
- Develop and incentivize multidisciplinary research activities among the students and FIU faculty
- Have the Department be a destination for students with an aspiring career in Interventional Radiology
Katzen, Barry, MD
Chair, Department of Interventional Radiology, and Professor
Florida International University
Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Department of Interventional Radiology
11200 SW 8th Street, AHC2 675
Faculty & staff
Adam R. Geronemus, M.D.
Vice Chair of Education and Assistant Professor, Department of [...]
Barry T. Katzen. M.D.
Chair, Department of Interventional Radiology and Professor
Constantino S. Pena, M.D.
Vice Chair of Research and Assistant Professor, Department of [...]