The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine offers a Summer Research Fellowship Program for current year one and year two medical students and pre-matriculants to gain additional research experience through various research projects in basic, educational, population outcomes, translational and clinical research.
The Summer Research Fellowship Program is awarded on a competitive basis. Existing medical students in good standing and pre-matriculants interested in gaining additional research experience are eligible to apply. The program runs for 6 weeks (and there must be a mutual agreement with a faculty member). Students are expected to work 30 hours per week. And attendance at the end-of-program banquet is mandatory.
Current medical students will receive a stipend of $2,500. Pre-matriculants will get a tuition waiver of $2,500 for the Spring semester.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN
2024 Program Dates
Pre-matriculate students: June 17 through July 26
Current medical students: June 10 through July 19
- Current medical students seeking research outside the College of Medicine (due to additional clearance requirements)
- General application deadline Current Medical Students
- General application deadline Pre-matriculate students
To Be Announced at a future date
- Mandatory for all students
If you are a current year 1 and year 2 medical student in good academic standing, you are eligible to apply for the Summer Research Fellowship Program.
Application procedure for current students:
- Choose your research interest and faculty mentor from this list.
- Contact your chosen faculty member and schedule an appointment to discuss and develop the project proposal.
- Once both parties agree, the faculty member must sign and submit the application form to the senior program coordinator, Elizabeth Ponce de Junco.
- The Office of Research reviews the application.
- The student will be notified of the Office of Research’s decision via email.