The Department of Cellular Biology and Pharmacology was formally established in fall 2009 as part of the new Florida International University (FIU) College of Medicine (COM). It represents the common intellectual denominator of what historically would have been called pre-clinical (Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology and Physiology) disciplines.
Vision & Mission
Vision; To be a nationally and internationally renowned department recognized for teaching and research in the context of a medical school.
Mission; To provide a dynamic and engaging environment in which to pursue a vigorous graduate education. The combination of diverse research backgrounds and an open environment should promote scientific exchange and lead to fruitful collaborations opening up new avenues of research and foster excellence in medical education.
The mission will be accomplished by:
- Constructing an encouraging environment that drives excellence
- Employing and preserving researchers engaged in extremely competitive research
- Promoting value for individuality as well as diversity
- Expanding and granting access to state-of-the-art core facilities
- Supporting local, national and international collaborative projects
- Facilitating interdisciplinary research
- Guiding faculty members towards academic excellence
- Developing a multidisciplinary graduate program
- Ensuring thorough schooling for our graduates
Message from the Chair
I am privileged to be the Founding Chair of the Department of Cellular Biology and Pharmacology.
As Chair, I plan to build a department that adheres to the vision and mission of the College of Medicine (COM), and Florida International University (FIU), at large.
The major goal for the Department is to promote excellence in scholarship and education.
To this end, we recruit distinguished and experienced medical educators as well as highly successful, well-funded researchers from diverse backgrounds whose research interests are relevant both to medicine and subtropical Florida.
This is in line with our COM mission of promoting health for the South Florida community.
In addition, this would become a vehicle to forge long-term collaboration with our geographical neighbors.
The department will be governed with transparency and openness.
This would promote direct communication and cooperation with the common goal of building an excellent and collegial department.
Every faculty member recruited is expected to perpetuate honesty and integrity in their professional pursuits and personal interactions in advancing the vision and mission of the Department and the College.
Georg A Petroianu, MD PhD FCP
Founding Chair & Professor
The goal is to keep the Department connected by providing insight into the efforts of our colleagues and highlight recent events and news. The newsletter will be produced twice per year.
Guest Speaker Archive
- 2014-03-21 Walter Boron
- 2014-06-20 Tar Ching Aw
- 2014-09-19 Gordon Gribble
- 2014-10-03 Margaret McCarthy
- 2014-10-20 Symposium
- 2015-01-23 Edward Fine
- 2015-02-06 Neil Kaplowitz
- 2015-06-19 Frank Stahnisch
- 2015-10-21 Walter Koch
- 2015-11-18 Christopher Spilling
- 2016-01-20 David Hein
- 2016-02-17 Kelly Karpa
- 2016-03-16 Milos Ljubisavljevic
- 2016-06-15 Johannes Vieweg
- 2016-05-18 Tomas Guilarte
- 2017-01-11 Michael Frohman
- 2017-04-19 David Busija
- 2017-05-03 Scott Waldman
- 2017-06-07 Richard Neubig
- 2018-04-11 Hartmut Derendorf
- 2018-05-16 Kent Vrana
- 2018-09-19 Basel K. al-Ramadi
- 2018-12-12 Johannes von Lintig
- 2019-04-17 Stella Tsirka
- 2019-05-01 Laura Bohn
Faculty & Staff
Chair, Department of Cellular Biology and Pharmacology; Associate Dean [...]
Vice Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Cellular Biology [...]
Assistant Dean for Foundational Sciences Curriculum; Associate Professor, Department [...]
Galvan, Adriana Emilce
Director for the Human Anatomy Laboratory; and Instructor
Lopez Arbolay, Zenia Rosa
Student Office Assistant
Martell Iglesias, Livan
Rao, Ch Venkateswara
Ravikumaran Nair, Rakesh
Roller, Barbra A., PH.D.
Administrative Director for the Graduate Certificate Program; Assistant Dean [...]
Rosen, Barry Philip
Distinguished University Professor
Sarkarai Nadar, Venkadesh
Manager of Administrative Services
Von Schirach, Aida C
Albrecht, Helmut H.
Bajenaru, Michaela Livia
Foster, Warren G.
Adjunct Assistant Professor