Community Breast Health Program
Since its inception in 2011, the Mobile Mammography Initiative has vastly expanded its fundraising efforts to accommodate our rapidly growing clinical programs. Because we have received an overwhelming amount of support for our breast health education and clinical care efforts, we have been able to broaden our clinical services. Now, we are aiming to encompass a wider variety of women’s health issues, beyond just breast health, for underserved women in Miami-Dade County.
Using funds raised through the Mobile Mammography Initiative’s Annual Art Show, the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) sponsors services at various imaging centers throughout Miami-Dade County, including the following:
- Baptist Health South Florida Outpatient Centers
- South Miami Center for Women & Infants
- Nilza Kallos at Breast Health Center and Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Jackson Memorial Hospital Taylor/Chaplin Breast Health Center
Previously, we worked with Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Mobile Mammovan to bring services to women in the community to further improve access to screening mammography services. With the arrival of FIU’s very own Linda Fenner 3D Mobile Mammography Center, FIU HWCOM now brings 3D mammography, the latest technology in breast cancer screening, to Miami-Dade County’s most vulnerable and underserved communities.
In order to identify women in need of sponsored mammograms, we work closely with the following organizations:
- The Green Family Foundation NeighborhoodHELP
- The FIU HWCOM Mobile Health Center
- UHI Community Care Clinic
- Various health fairs and other community outreach events.
Our general criteria for receiving screening mammograms include:
- A resident of Miami-Dade County
- Not pregnant
- No breast implants
- No clinical symptoms of breast abnormality
- No history of breast cancer
- Over 40 years old, unless otherwise indicated by a doctor’s order
- Must have a current primary care doctor or obstetrician-gynecologist who will receive the results
Any individuals who do not meet these criteria are referred directly to the Jackson Taylor Breast Health Center for care. In addition, the Mobile Mammography Initiative has worked in close partnership with Ms. Pamela Burnett and The Beautiful Gate, a cancer support and resource center based in Miami, to provide additional services to women in need.