Community Breast Health Program
Thanks to the overwhelming support for our breast health education and clinical care efforts, we have been able to broaden our clinical services. Now, we aim to encompass a wider variety of women’s health issues, beyond just breast health, for underserved women in Miami-Dade County.
Using funds raised through the Mobile Mammography Initiative’s Annual Art Show, the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine sponsors services at various imaging centers throughout Miami-Dade County, including the following:
- Baptist Health South Florida Outpatient Centers
- South Miami Center for Women & Infants
- Nilza Kallos at Breast Health Center and Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Jackson Memorial Hospital Taylor/Chaplin Breast Health Center
Our Linda Fenner 3D Mobile Mammography Center offers the latest technology in breast cancer screening to Miami-Dade County’s most underserved communities.
We work closely with the following organizations to identify women needing free mammograms:
- The Green Family Foundation NeighborhoodHELP
- The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Mobile Health Centers
- UHI Community Care Clinic
- Various health fairs and other community outreach events
Our general criteria for free screening mammograms include:
- A resident of Miami-Dade County
- Not pregnant
- No breast implants
- No clinical symptoms of breast abnormality
- No history of breast cancer
- Over 40 years old, unless otherwise indicated by a doctor’s order
- Must have a current primary care doctor or obstetrician-gynecologist who will receive the results
Anyone not meeting these criteria is referred directly to the Jackson Taylor Breast Health Center for care. In addition, the Mobile Mammography Initiative partners with Pamela Burnett and The Beautiful Gate, a cancer support and resource center based in Miami, to provide additional services to women in need.