- Excellence in Advising and Mentorship - 3 awards
- Excellence in Engagement - 1 award
- Excellence in Librarianship - 1 award
- Excellence in Research and Creative Activities - 6 awards
- Excellence in Service - 1 award
- Excellence in Teaching - 6 awards
- Full time, paid members of the faculty with at least three years of full time service before the year nominated
- For previous winners, at least five years must have lapsed before new nomination
- Award committee prefers substantive nomination letters from colleagues or supervisors, but in a university tradition, it also accepts self-nominations.
- Nominee gets notified and then compiles application package or withdraws from the nomination
Each award carries a $5000 stipend.
Previous HWCOM Awardees
Barry Rosen, PhD – Excellence in Research
Cheryl Holder, MD – Excellence in Engagement
Rebecca Toonkel, MD- Excellence in Teaching
Luther Brewster, PhD – Excellence in Community Engagement
Gagani Athauda, MD – Excellence in Teaching
Additional information is available at https://facultysenate.fiu.edu/awards/.