- What is the application deadline?
The application deadline for the Graduate Certificate in Molecular and Biomedical Sciences is June 15th.
- Does the graduate certificate program admit students for the spring semester?
No. Students are only admitted for the Graduate Certificate in Molecular and Biomedical Sciences to begin in the Fall semester.
- May I apply to the graduate certificate program if I have not finished my bachelor's degree yet?
Yes. However, if admitted, you must provide an updated transcripts to University Graduate School that shows your completed degree in order to finalize your admission.
- Are there any employment restrictions for students in the graduate certificate program?
The Graduate Certificate is a rigorous program, students are held to a high degree of accountability, and attendance in class is mandatory. However, it is possible for students to be employed while they are in the program. Due to the rigor of the program, it is recommended that students work no more than 20 hrs/week.
- Do you offer financial support to students in the graduate certificate program?
No federal loans are available for this program. However, you may meet with staff in the Office of Financial Assistance to discuss ways to pay for the program.
- May I submit more than two letters of recommendation in support of my application?
Yes. You may submit as many letters as you wish, but at least two recommendation letters must be written by your science faculty and/or professional colleagues. Please do not request letters from graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, personal friends, or family members. Strong unequivocal letters attesting to your educational background, motivation, analytical skills, and promise as a health care provider are important considerations. Additionally, letters must be signed and written on letterhead.
- Do I need to send in official transcripts with my application?
Yes. You must submit official transcripts for each college or university you have attended. Transcripts must be submitted to the FIU Graduate Admissions Office. If you only took courses at FIU, you do not need to submit a transcript.
- What are official transcripts?
Official transcripts are transcripts that are issued and sealed by the institution. Often, official transcripts have the university's seal on the envelope. Transcripts are not considered official if they have been opened. To process your application, we need official transcripts from all previously attended schools. Official transcripts may also be sent electronically.
- I received my undergraduate degree from FIU. Do I need to request that FIU transcripts be sent to the FIU Graduate Admissions Office?
No. You do not need to submit FIU transcripts.
- What do I have to submit for a completed application?
There are four steps to your application:
- The University Graduate School Application with the $30 nonrefundable application fee
- Official university and college transcripts from all institutions previously attended
- The HWCOM Graduate Certificate Departmental Application which includes a personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation received
- Where should I send my transcripts/additional application materials?
FIU Graduate Admissions Office
PO Box 659004
Miami, FL 33265‐9004
- How do I find out if my application materials have been received?
To view your application status you may log into my.fiu.edu with your Panther ID and password to check whether transcripts have been received. The Graduate Admissions Office will post your documents to your application page as soon as possible.
- What is a Panther ID, and how do I obtain one?
The Panther ID is your student identification number at FIU. It is assigned upon receipt of your online application. The confirmation of receipt of application is sent via email and includes your Panther ID.
- Can I submit a paper application?
No. Applications can only be submitted online.
- Is there a fee for processing the application?
Yes, you must pay a $30 nonrefundable application fee. You can pay the fee online using a major credit card (Visa, Master Card, Discover, or American Express).
- Can I get a refund on my application fee?
No. Application fees are nonrefundable.
- Can I get a fee waiver?
No. Application fees cannot be waived.
- How are applications reviewed?
Completed applications are reviewed by the Graduate Certificate Admissions Committee in the order they become available. The admissions committee carefully considers your academic qualifications, letters of recommendation and the HWCOM Graduate Certificate Departmental Application.
- Can I obtain an informal assessment of my chances for admission based on my resume and transcript?
We do not comment on eligibility or admissions chances until your complete application has been reviewed by the admissions committee. Standards for admission to the graduate certificate program are similar to those required for entrance into a graduate program in the health professions.
- Do you require interviews?
No. Applicants do not have to interview for admission to the graduate certificate program.
- How will I be notified of the admission committee’s decision?
If accepted, you will be contacted via the email address on your application. You can view admissions decisions by logging in to the MyFIU student portal with your Panther ID and password. Please note that admissions decisions are provided only to applicants with complete applications.
- If I have a question that is not addressed in this FAQ list, whom should I contact?
If you have any additional queries, please contact us directly at email@example.com.