The Department of Orthopedics was established in the Fall of 2008 as part of the new FIU College of Medicine.
Vision and Goals
The Vision of the Department of Orthopedics is to be one of the most outstanding academic departments of Orthopedics in the region and a center for excellence in innovative surgery, research, and surgical education.
The Department of Orthopedics is committed to improving the health of those we serve with dedication to excellence by:
- Training our medical students with the highest level of professionalism in patient care.
- Familiarizing them with the specialty, giving them a competent basic education in Orthopedic Surgery while encouraging research at every level.
- Developing the Orthopedic Surgery Departments at various sites in our community into centers of excellence for patient care and education.
- Creating and maintaining a curriculum that will expose our residents and students to all aspects of Orthopedics through our academic affiliated institutions.
- Recruiting the best faculty and supporting them in their pursuit of excellence in patient care, research, medical education, and technology.
Florida International University
Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Department of Orthopedics
11200 SW 8th Street, AHC-2 675
Faculty & staff
John William Uribe, M.D.
Chair, Department of Orthopedics; and Professor
UHZ Sports Medicine, 1150 Campo Sano Avenue, Suite 200, Coral Gables, FL 33146
Keith Hechtman, M.D.
Vice Chair of Education, department of Orthopedics; and Professor
Elizabeth A. Ouellette, M.D., M.B.A
Vice Chair of Research, Department of Orthopedics; and Professor