- Where can I find detailed admissions information for medical schools?
The best source of information is the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), which is published by the AAMC.
- When does the application process begin?
The application process for the 2018 entering class begins in May 2017. All applications must be submitted through American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
- Is there a required Secondary Application? If so, is there a fee?
All applicants who have submitted a verified AMCAS application will be invited to complete the HWCOM Secondary Application. The HWCOM non-refundable Secondary Application fee is $30. AAMC Fee Assistance Program (FAP) will be honored for an application fee waiver.
- Is there an Early Decision Program offered at HWCOM?
Yes, learn more about the Early Decision Program.
- What specific coursework do I need for admission?
A bachelor's degree is required for all students attending HWCOM. All coursework must be completed in a satisfactory manner in an educational institution located in the United States or Canada, approved by a regional accrediting body, and listed in the Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs.
HWCOM has set forth minimum academic requirements and developed a list of required prerequisite courses and recommended courses for applicants to HWCOM.
- Can prerequisite lower division courses be taken at community colleges?
Yes. However, additional upper level science courses are encouraged in preparation for the MCAT and success in medical school.
- Will AP, IB and/or CLEP credits be accepted?
AP and IB credits may fulfill course requirements; however, it is highly recommended that additional coursework be taken in these areas. CLEP courses are not accepted.
- Will Distance Learning/online courses be accepted?
Since most prerequisite courses include a laboratory component, courses taken on-line will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The laboratory component should not be taken on-line.
- I am currently pursuing a Graduate/Professional Degree. Do I have to complete the degree before I matriculate at HWCOM?
If currently enrolled in a Graduate/Professional program, you should complete all requirements for your degree before matriculating at HWCOM.
- Will International students be eligible for the program? DACA status?
HWCOM only accepts citizens and permanent residents of the United States. At this time, we are not able to consider international applicants or applicants with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Will HWCOM accept transfer students?
Due to the unique integration of our curriculum, HWCOM does not consider any transfer requests.
- Will I need to take the MCAT exam?
- What if I took the MCAT a few years ago?
Scores from MCAT exams taken prior to 2015 will not be accepted for 2018 admission.
- What GPA and MCAT score will I need to be considered for admission?
All applicants may be considered. However our average statistics for accepted applicants are MCAT 31 (range 24 - 41); MCAT2015 509 (range 498 - 519); Overall GPA 3.6 - 3.7 (range 3.0 - 4.0); BCPM 3.5 - 3.6 (range 2.9 - 4.0). Please see MSAR for further details.
- What should my Personal Statement include?
The personal statement is your opportunity to tell us about yourself. Include why and how you made the decision to pursue a career in medicine. Do not make it generic!
- Will community service and/or volunteer activities make my application more competitive?
Community service and/or volunteer activities are essential to be considered a competitive applicant Activities relating to underserved populations will be highly valued.
- How important is having experience working with doctors and/or health care professionals?
"Hands-on" patient contact (work experience, volunteering, community service, etc.) over a consistent period of time, will enrich your application and is essential to be considered a competitive applicant.
- Is research experience necessary for admission?
Research is not required, but is strongly encouraged and will help to further enhance your application.
- How many letters of recommendation will I need to submit?
HWCOM requires a minimum of three letters of recommendation, two from science faculty (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) and one from any other faculty member who has taught the applicant. If the school has a Health Professions Advisory Committee, it is expected that the applicant will submit a letter of recommendation from that committee with the three faculty letters described above attached to the advisory committee letter.
- How can I prepare for the interview?
Be yourself! Also, you must do your homework and learn about the school. There are many websites for medical school applicants that contain valuable information about the interview preparation, including sample questions that may be asked.
- If I am accepted to HWCOM, may I defer my enrollment date?
HWCOM does allow accepted students to defer enrollment under special circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
- What is the tuition?
- How do I qualify for Florida tuition?
A Florida resident for tuition purposes is a person who has established and maintained Florida domicile for at least 12 months before the first day of Orientation. Applicants claiming Florida residency should refer to residency guidelines from FIU Onestop.
- Will financial assistance be available for the medical program?
Yes. We will have a variety of forms of financial assistance for our students.
- Will housing be available for medical students?
On-campus housing is not available for medical students. Information regarding off-campus housing is provided through FIU’s Orientation and Parent Programs. Click here for more information about off-campus residential options.
- When do classes begin?
Medical school classes for incoming students begin the first week of August.
- Where do FIU medical students rotate?
HWCOM has many affiliations with hospitals and clinics throughout Miami-Dade and Broward counties. View the list.
- What if I change my contact information (address, phone, email) after I submit my AMCAS application?
You must update all contact information through AMCAS.
- I have other questions.
Please email our Admissions Team.