The Florida Medical Student Research Journal accepts all healthcare related submissions by medical students, graduate students, and professionals. Pre-submission inquiries to email@example.com are appreciated.We publish original research, case reports, editorials, reviews, and reflections and other works relevant to health care from any graduate student or health professional. Examples of different types of work acceptable for publication in the FMSRJ are listed below.
The Florida Medical Student Research Journal only accepts submissions that have not been published previously. Manuscripts that are currently under consideration by another publication will not be simultaneously considered by the FMSRJ. If the status of a manuscript is in question, please consult the recommendations of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) regarding “Overlapping Publications” at http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/publishing-and-editorial-issues/overlapping-publications.html. All manuscripts will be screened for plagiarism.
- Authorship Criteria:
- Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
- Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
- Final approval of the version to be published; AND
- Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. (1)
- Corresponding Author: The name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number of the first author shall be included on the title page of the manuscript. This author is responsible for communicating with all other authors about revisions to the manuscript.
- All Authors must complete the Author Agreement Form. The manuscript has been read and approved by all other authors, indicating their confidence that all contents are genuine, accurate, and current. The manuscript has no other uncredited authors.
- Conflict of interest: Each author must submit an ICMJE conflict of interest form found here.
- Patient Protection
- Manuscript with identifiable patient information not in accordance with HIPAA regulations will be rejected by the FMSRJ. For clarification, please consult the Summary of the HIPPA Privacy Rule at https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/privacysummary.pdf?language=es
- IRB approval letter – All studies involving human subjects must be submitted along with an approval from the institutional review board (IRB).
- Consent Forms are required ONLY for case studies. The original consent form can be submitted with the manuscript. If it does not satisfy the FMSRJ review committee, the author may be required to submit a new consent form based on the templates found on http://research.fiu.edu/irb/pages/informed-consent-template.html.
Submissions must adhere to the guidelines summarized below and to the standardized checklist criteria for original research, case studies, review articles and other submissions found in links below. Manuscripts not adhering to formatting guidelines will not be reviewed.
- Size and Font:
- Cover page, text, references, figures, legends, and tables should be submitted as a one double-spaced Word document with 1 inch margins, 12 point Times New Roman font, and numbered lines.
Manuscripts should typically be submitted with the following outline:
- Author and Affiliations
- Include Corresponding Author’s contact information
- Abstract (no more than 250 words)
- Methods and Analysis
- Conclusion (Be sure to include any significant strengths and weaknesses of the manuscript)
- Other: Special comments or concerns for the editors who will review the manuscript.
- Keywords (no more than 5 words)
- Methods and Analyses
- Figures and Tables (with corresponding legends)
- Cover Page shall include:
- Title of the manuscript
- Each author's name, degree, and institutional affiliation
- Contact information for the corresponding author
- Figures and Media:
- Figures and tables should be placed after the text and references. Legends for all figures should be included in the file with the main text and should not appear on the figures. Images should be submitted with the highest resolution possible. Blurred images will not be accepted. Acceptable formats for pictures, photos, and figures are PDF, DOC, PPT, JPG, TIF.
- Limitations on Size and Media:
- Original Research articles will be limited to 5000 words.
- All other submissions will be limited to 2000 words
- All submissions will be limited to 5 figures and/or media
- All citations must follow the ICMJE guidelines. Samples are found at https://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/uniform_requirements.html (1).