In 2011, the Florida Science Training and Research Fellowship (F-STAR) was established by the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Office for Diversity and Inclusion to increase the number of highly qualified medical school applicants from minority groups that are underrepresented in medicine.
Florida Science Training and Research Fellowship (F-STAR) is a multi-year academic and social enrichment program for motivated students who are preparing for a career in medicine. This program will provide year-round support and services to students throughout their undergraduate experience. Each year, 15 rising sophomores are selected from our partnering institutions to participate in the F-STAR Fellowship program.
This longitudinal program focuses on students who are in the earlier stages of their college education, as research indicates that this is when students derive the most benefit from programs such as this.
Apply to F-STAR
F-STAR Program Information
Application opens: Nov. 1st Closes: January 31st
F-STAR is for students who:
- Are at least 18 years of age by June 2020
- Have interest in attending medical school
- Ability to bring a computer
- Can commit to participate full-time for 6 weeks (June 8 – July 17, 2020)
In addition applicants must meet several criteria:
- 3.0 Overall GPA
- Completed less than 35 college credits
- Completed two semesters of college (full-time) by June 2020 at a partner institution
- Have taken the SAT and/or ACT exams
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Completed application