Michael McDermott, M.D., is a board-certified neurosurgeon. In his role as chief of the Division of Neuroscience, he oversees all curricular and clinical activities of the Division. He also serves as the chief medical executive of Miami Neuroscience Institute, part of Baptist Health South Florida.
McDermott is a world-renowned leader in neurosciences and has clinical expertise in meningioma surgery and Gamma Knife radiosurgery. He is widely known for advancing neurosurgical techniques and pioneering the surgical management of meningioma. This slow-growing tumor is the most common primary brain tumor in adults. Throughout his career, McDermott’s research has generated more than 400 peer-reviewed publications.
Meningiomas, skull base tumors, and radiosurgery, Alzheimer’s
Fellow, Research, University of California San Francisco, 1990
Clinical Instructor, Neuro-Oncology, University of California San Francisco, 1989
Residency, Neurosurgery, University of British Columbia, Canada, 1988
Mixed Internship, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Canada, 1983
M.D., University of Toronto, Canada, 1982
B.S., Chemistry, University of Toronto, Canada, 1978
- Irma and Kalmam Bass Distinguished Clinical Professor & Endowed Chair in Clinical Neuroscience
- Expertscape top rated meningioma expert in the world 2010-2021
- Italo Linfante , Vincenzo Andreone, Natalia Ravelo, Amy K. Starosciak, Bilal Arif, Hussain Shallwani, Peter Tze Man Kan, Michael W. McDermott, Guilherme Dabus, Endovascular Treatment of Giant ysm (May 26, 2020) Cureus 12(5): e8290. doi:10.7759/cureus.8290 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32601564/
- Young M. Lee , Angel Ordaz, Beata Durcanova, Jennifer A. Viner, Philip V. Theodosopoulos, Manish K. Aghi, Michael W. McDermott. Cerebrospinal Fluid Leaks and Pseudomeningocele after Posterior Fossa Surgery: Effect of an Autospray Dural Sealant. May 31, 2020.Cureus 12(5): e8379. doi:10.7759/cureus.8379 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32626623/
- Susko MS, Garcia MA, Ma L, Nakamura JL, Raleigh DR, Fogh S, Theodosopoulos P, McDermott M, Sneed PK, Braunstein SE.Stereotactic Radiosurgery to More Than 10 Brain Metastases: Evidence to support the Role of Radiosurgery for Ideal Hippocampal Sparing in the Treatment if Multiple Brain Metastases. World Neurosurg. 2020 Mar;135:e174-e180. doi: 10.1016. PMID: 31785436 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31785436/
- Seymour ZA, Chan JW, Sneed PK, Kano H, Lehocky CA, Jacobs RC, Ye H, Chytka T, Liscak R, Lee CC, Yang HC, Ding D, Sheehan J, Feliciano CE, Rodriguez-Mercado R, Chiang VL, Hess JA, Sommaruga S, McShane B, Lee J, Vasas LT, Kaufmann AM, Grills I, McDermott MW. Dose Response and Architecture in Volume Stages Radiosurgery For Large Arteriovenous Malformation: A Multi-institutional study. Radiother Oncol. 2020 Mar. doi: 10.1016/j.radonc. PMID: 31835173 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31835173/
- Stephen T. Magill , Winward Choy, Minh P. Nguyen, Michael W. McDermott, et al. (April 18, 2020) Ommaya Reservoir Insertion: A Technical Note. Cureus 12(4): e7731. doi:10.7759/cureus.7731 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32432009/