Sanaz Kashan, M.D., FACP
Translational Medicine; Division of Internal Medicine
Sanaz Kashan, M.D., teaches first- and second-year courses, including pharmacology, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, gastrointestinal, and renal systems. She has an active role in the development of the hospice and palliative care curriculum. Kashan is co-director for the End-of-Life course and is involved in the advanced care planning curricular integration. Kashan also facilitates sessions for the primary geriatrics preceptorship.
Kashan has major administrative jobs at HCA Florida Aventura Hospital in Aventura, Florida. She is the founding program director for the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship and the Transitional Year Residency Program program director.
Active in many medical organizations, Kashan serves on multiple committees within the American College of Physicians, American Geriatrics Society and American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
Fellowship, Hospice and Palliative Care Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan
Fellowship, Geriatric Medicine, Hurley Medical Center/Michigan State University, Flint, Michigan
Residency, Internal Medicine, Hurley Medical Center/Michigan State University, Flint, Michigan
Internship, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center/RWJ Barnabas Health, New Jersey
M.D., Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Board-certified in internal medicine, geriatrics medicine, hospice and palliative medicine
Kashan’s main career interests and research efforts have been education, end-of-life care, advanced care planning, cultural factors in patient decision-making, and pharmacology. She is also particularly interested in enhancing the quality of health care through medical education and inter-professional teamwork to improve health outcomes.
- Minor S, Samuels M, Milanez M, Kashan S, Mora J. Facilitating the Advance Care Planning Conversation with Patients: An Interactive Virtual 1.5 Hour Session. Southern Medical Journal. 2021
- Nguyen B, Athauda G, Kashan SB, Weiler T, Toonkel RL. Osteoporosis: a small-group case-based learning activity. 2021;17:11176. https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.11176
- Minor S, Samuels M, Milanez M, Kashan S, Mora J. Using Five Wishes to Facilitate the Advance Care Planning Conversation with Patients. Icollaborative, AAMC. August 2020. https://icollaborative.aamc.org/resource/5141/
- Baskir E, Athauda G, Zeiarati GN, Kashan SB, Camps-Romero E, Gillis M. Active Learning to Promote Early and Effective Physician Interaction with Pharmaceutical Industry Marketing Practices. Medical Science Educator, April 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-020-00943-y
- Ferrer L, Falconi G, Priyadarshni S, Perez R, Smithson S, Kashan S, Curry B. Multicenter Palliative Care Intervention Analysis in Heart Failure Patients: Crossing the Chasm. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, March 2020. DOI:1016/S0735-1097(20)30841-X