Berkman, Aron Wayne, MD, PhD
Head of Hematology/Oncology; and Associate Professor
Translational Medicine; Division of Internal Medicine
Office: AHC2 693
Dr. Aron Berkman is the founding chief of medical oncology at HWCOM. He serves as co-director for the hematopoietic systems course and the end-of-life care course. He also mentors students interested in internal medicine, hematology, and oncology and is the advisor for the Oncology Interest Group and the Jewish Student Medical Association.
Dr. Berkman practices hematology and primary care at the FIU Health Faculty Group Practice. He treats all solid tumors and lymphoma and has participated in clinical trials involving new drugs for treating such diseases and small cell lung cancer. He also has extensive experience in the diagnosis/treatment of hematologic disorders; his work has been published in major journals and presented at national and international conferences.
Dr. Berkman is active in the Gold Humanism Honor Society and the ASCO Mentoring Program. He is a former local chapter president of the American Cancer Society and a clinical hospice director.
BS, Zoology, University of Maryland
PhD, Pharmacology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Area of interest
Dr. Berkman has a career interest in developing multidisciplinary system wide cancer programs, integrating patient friendly care, clinical research and teaching.
- Persoud-Sharma, D., Kashan, S, Berkman, A., Romanello, T., Impact of culturally based medicine on patient decision making, Progress in Palliative Care, Volume 26, 2018 – Issue 5-6, 223-226; published online 2/21/2019
- Tummala, M.K., Hausner, P.F., McGuire, W.P., Gibson, T. and Berkman, A.W., Testis: A sanctuary site in Merkel cell carcinoma of the skin, Clin. Oncology, 24(6) 1008-1009, 2006.
- Wang, K.P, Tudakovic, M., Hehn, B. and Berkman, A., New Metallic Stent, 12th World Congress for Bronchology, Boston, MA., June 16-19, 2002.
- Hafiz, M.A., Wang, K.P. and Berkman, A., Fine needle aspiration diagnosis of benign metastasizing leiomyoma of the lung. A case report., Acta Cytologica 38:398-402, 1994.
- Cheng, W.F. and Berkman, A.W., Malignant mesothelioma with bone metastases, Med Pediatr Oncol, 18(2), 165-168, 1990.