Juan C. Cendan, M.D.
Dean of HWCOM; Senior Vice President for Health Affairs; and Professor of Surgery
Dean’s Office; Surgery
Areas of Interest: Medical and surgical procedural simulation and education
Juan C. Cendán, MD, is a general surgeon and medical educator.
Dr. Cendán’s interests overlap in the area of simulation and instructional design. He has received national and foundation grants to support the scholarship and development of several platforms and has published broadly.
Before joining FIU, Dr. Cendán served as Assistant Dean for Simulation, Chairman of the Department of Medical Education, and vice-President for Academic Health Science Integration at UCF’s college of medicine from 2010-2021.
General Surgery, University of Florida, 1997
M.D., University of Florida, 1991
B.S., Biomedical Engineering, Tulane and Queen Mary University (London)
Areas of Specialization
- Alignment of infrastructure and governance to support medical education.
- Quality improvement of medical school programs and student performance.
- Innovative scholarship in medical education.
Academic Leadership Experience
- Provost Chair, Associate Dean in Residence, Provost’s Office, UCF. Served as program manager for year-long effort culminating in a new Academic structure including three colleges, and almost 15,000 students. Creation of Health Sciences, 2017-2018.
- Assistant Vice-President of Academic Health Science Center (AHSC) for Mission Integration, University of Central Florida (UCF).
- Co-Chair, Undergraduate Medical Education Working Group, Council of Florida Medical School Deans.
- National LCME committee accreditation team-member for assessment and recommendation on four College of Medicine site visits. 2014-2019.
- Chairman, Department of Medical Education, UCF.
- Assistant Dean for Simulation and Clinical Skills and Medical Director of Standardized Patient programs. Managed the personnel and infrastructure and research related to simulation and standardized patient programs at two colleges of medicine. 2010-2015 (UCF), 2008-2010 (UF).
- Founding Faculty at UCF COM. I was a member and actively contributed to all relevant College of Medicine committees at UCF including those responsible for E&G and PGDE budgets (state allocations, hiring strategy, growth), management and expansion of the clinical enterprise, development of a graduate medical education program, development and assessment of curricular and accreditation infrastructure. 2010-2021.
- Innovation portfolio: Received extramural funding for approximately 15 years from NIH, NSF, and foundations. One of our early programs has been commercialized; the spin-off company was purchased by Elsevier Corp. last year. Developed Flagship, a Cureus online PubMed-searchable journal providing a scholarship platform for Florida’s medical colleges.
- Clinical practice: Board Certified by the American Board of Surgeons, special interest in complex laparoscopic techniques and endocrine surgery including laparoscopic adrenalectomy.
For up-to-date publications and grant history, visit Dr. Cendan's ORCID page.