Rivera-Rodriguez, Melanis, PsyD
Office: GL - 340B
Melanis Rivera-Rodríguez is a licensed psychologist formally trained in cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and evidence-based practices. In addition to teaching, she provides psychology services to our medical students at the HWCOM Medical Student Counseling and Wellness Center.
Before joining FIU, Rivera-Rodríguez provided clinical health psychology services for HIV/AIDS patients at Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. She also worked in outpatient care settings focused on the treatment of eating disorders.
Education and Training:
- Postdoctoral Fellowship degree, Clinical Health Psychology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Psy.D., Clinical Psychology, Ponce School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Certification, Primary Care Behavioral Health, UMASS Amherst
- B.A., Psychology and Mental Health, University of Puerto Rico Cayey Campus
Areas of Interest:
Rivera-Rodriguez’s areas of interest span from Dialectic Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and practices from an integrative model that incorporates interpersonal, acceptance and commitment, motivational interviewing, and mindfulness therapies.
- Case Report: The Gold Standard: The Case for Inclusion of a Medical Student-Specific Counseling Center and Wellness Programming in Early Medical Education (2020) DOI: 10.1007/s10880-020-09726-4
- First Year Burnout and Coping in One US Medical School (2019) DOI: 10.1007/s40596-020-01198-w
- The Anabolic Steroids Testosterone Propionate and Nandrolone, but Not 17alpha-methyltestosterone, Induce Conditioned Place Preference in Adult Mice (2008) DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2008.09.014
Active Psychology License in the state of Florida since 2014.