Martinez-Mesa, Francisco, MD, PsyD
Francisco Martinez-Mesa was born in Calabazar, Habana Cuba in 1959, and immigrated to the United States in 1967. Dr Martinez-Mesa received his medical degree in 1987 from the University Of Health Sciences Antigua School Of Medicine, and began working at the University of Miami’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, where he remained until 2000. During that time, Dr Martinez-Mesa began pursuing a second Doctorate in the field of Psychology, with a specialization in Neuropsychology, which he obtained in 2005 from Carlos Albizu University. After leaving Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Dr Martinez-Mesa served as a research associate in the Department of Behavioral Medicine at the University of Miami, and later as Assistant Director of Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Employee Assistance Program. After obtaining his Doctorate in Psychology, Dr Martinez-Mesa served as Assistant Professor, and later Director of the Undergraduate Psychology Program at Carlos Albizu University until 2010, Dr Martinez-Mesa began working at his private practice and joined the staff at the Neurobehavioral Institute of Miami, where he supervises clinical psychology interns, residents, and students. His research interests center around the areas of psychoneuroimmunology, neuropsychological test administration and instrumentation, positive psychology, and hypnosis.
Education and Training
- MD, University of Health Sciences Antigua School of Medicine, Dowhill, St. Johns Antigua, WI
- PsyD, Carlos Albizu University, Doral, Florida
- 2013, Special Recognition for contributions to Florida International University, Robert Wertheim College of Medicine, as a founding Clinical Associate Professor.
- 2011, Carlos Albizu University Five-Year Meritorious Service Award.
- 1998, University of Miami Ten-Year Service Award.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2014). Sistemas Neuroanatómicos, 3-day course as Visiting Professor at the Pontífica Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santiago, República Dominicana.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. and Mora, A. (2010). Transgender Health Services: Culturally Sensitive Practice Guidelines. Florida International University/Aqua Foundation for Women, Florida International University, Biscayne Bay Campus, Miami, FL.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2010). A Case of Neonatal Asphyxia. Clinical Neuropsychology Symposium, Goodman Psychological Services Center, Miami, FL
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2010). Physiology of Stress. Career Week, Miami Dade College, Miami, FL.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2009). Stress and the Immune System: Neuro-psycho-physiological Correlations. Carlos Albizu University Mental Health Awareness Week, Miami, FL.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2009). Stress in the Workplace. Florida Department of Revenue, United Way Kickoff Event, Miami, FL.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2009-10). Physiology of Stress. Guest Lecturer, Clinical Didactics, Goodman Psychological Services Center, Miami, FL.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2007, 2008, 2009). Physiology of Stress. Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus, Career Week, Miami, FL.
- Rodriguez-Menendez, G. and Martinez-Mesa, F. (2005). Taller de Neuroanatomía Funcional Aplicada. Carlos Albizu University, San Juan Campus, San Juan, P.R.
- Martinez-Mesa, F. (2005). Applied Nueroanatomy and Physiology of Stress. Guest Lecturer, Clinical Didactics, Goodman Psychological Services Center, Miami, FL.