Patricia Junquera, MD, FAPA
Associate Professor and Director of Multidisciplinary Education
Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Office: AHC1 343
Languages Spoken: English and Spanish
Patricia Junquera, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist with expertise in anxiety, mood disorders, substance use disorders, psychiatric emergencies, and geriatric psychiatry. In addition to serving as Director of Multidisciplinary Education, she provides psychiatric services at the FIU Health Faculty Group Practice on FIU’s main campus.
Junquera was the Founding Program Director for the Citrus Health Network-FIU, HWCOM Psychiatry Residency Program.
After graduating from her fellowship at the Miami VA Healthcare System, Junquera became academic director of the outpatient clinic. Junquera served as the medical director for the Detox Unit, and senior psychiatrist in the Emergency Department at Jackson Behavioral Health. She also served as medical director for behavioral health for Miami Dade County correctional facilities. And she was part of the consult liaison team that developed the psychiatric rotation for the medical residency program at Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach.
Fellowship, Geriatric Psychiatry, Jackson Memorial Hospital and Affiliated Hospitals, Miami, FL
Residency, Psychiatry, Universidad Autonoma de Ciencias Médicas de Centro America, San José, Costa Rica
MD, Cum Laude Probata, Universidad Autonoma de Ciencias Médicas de Centro America, San José, Costa Rica
BHS, Summa Cum Laude, Universidad Autonoma de Ciencias Médicas de Centro America, San José, Costa Rica
BA, Psychology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
Areas of Interest
Addiction Psychiatry, Mood Disorders, Women’s Mental Health, Academic Work and Eliminating the Stigma of Mental Illness.
- Top Psychiatrist, Latino’s Who’s Who, Miami, FL, 2019
- Junior Teaching Award, University of Miami, Miami, FL, 2012
- Woman Extraordinaire, Business Leader, Miami, FL, 2011
- Junior Teaching Award, University of Miami, Miami, FL, 2010
- Special Care Award, Veterans Administration, Miami, FL, 2009
- Senior Teaching Award, University of Miami, Miami, FL, 2009
- Rustad, J.K., Junquera, P., Chaves, L., and Eth, S. “Civil Commitment among Patients with Alcohol and Drug Abuse: Practical, Conceptual and Ethical Issues” Addictive Disorders and their Treatment.
- Castellanos, D., Junquera, P. “Designer Drug Use and Abuse: Implications for Psychiatrists”. Psychiatric Times, November 12, 2013, 1-6
- Reidy L.J., Junquera, P., Van Dijck K.R., Steele B.W. and Salloum I. “The Use of Synthetic Cathinones and Tryptamines in a Psychiatric Population”. Journal of Forensic Toxicology & Pharmacology. 2013, 2:2
- Reidy, L.J., Junquera, P., Van Dijck, K., Steele, B.W., Nemeroff, C.B. Underestimation of substance abuse in psychiatric patients by conventional hospital screening. J Psychiatr Res. 2014 Dec;59:206-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2014.08.020. Epub 2014 Sep 10. PMID: 25262418.