Patricia Junquera, M.D., FAPA
Interim Chair, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health Associate Professor, Vice Chair of Clinical, and Director of Multidisciplinary Education
Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Office: AHC1 349
Languages: English and Spanish
Practice Location: FIU Health Faculty Group Practice; 800 SW 108th Avenue, Suite 100 Miami, FL 33199; 305-348-3627
Areas of Expertise: Anxiety, Mood Disorders, Substance Use Disorders, Psychiatric Emergencies, Neuromodulation and Geriatric Psychiatry
In addition to overseeing the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, Dr. Patricia Junquera provides clinical psychiatric services at the FIU Health Faculty Group Practice on FIU’s main campus.
Dr. Junquera spearheaded the clinic’s use of new and alternate treatments for patients with treatment resistant depression (TRD) who have not responded to two or more prior trials of antidepressant medications. These include repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS), a non-invasive, FDA-cleared treatment for TRD using magnetic brain stimulation, and the soon-to-be offered Spravato, a fast-acting nasal spray used in addition to oral medications, also approved for patients suffering from depression with suicidal thoughts.
Dr. Junquera has extensive experience as a clinician. She served as medical director for the Detox Unit and senior psychiatrist in the Emergency Department at Jackson Behavioral Health, and later as medical director for behavioral health for Miami-Dade Correctional facilities.
Her academic credentials include serving as the Founding Program Director for the Citrus Health Network-FIU Psychiatry Residency Program, and academic director of the Miami VA outpatient clinic. She was also part of the consult liaison team that developed the psychiatric rotation for the medical residency program at Mount Sinai Medical Center on Miami Beach.
Fellowship, Geriatric Psychiatry, Jackson Memorial Hospital and Affiliated Hospitals, Miami, FL
Residency Psychiatry, Psychiatry, Jackson Memorial Hospital and Affiliated Hospitals, Miami, FL
M.D., Universidad Autonoma de Ciencias Médicas de Centro America, San José, Costa Rica
BHS, Universidad Autonoma de Ciencias Médicas de Centro America, San José, Costa Rica
B.A. Psychology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
- 2022-present A Multicenter Phase 3 study on the Assessment of safety and efficacy of Exablate Low intensity Focused Ultrasound to open the Blood Brain Barrier in Alzheimer’s Patients, 2021-2026. Project no. 800015804. PI at FIU/ Baptist Health, Patricia Junquera, MD Co PI Michael McDermott, MD.
- 2021-present Using rTMS for Depression. Adjouadi M (PI), Junquera P, Carcache L, Cabrerizo M, Rojas N, Castellanos D (Co-PI). Miami, Fl. National Science Foundation. Award # 800011212
Areas of Interest
Addiction Psychiatry, Mood Disorders, Women’s Mental Health, Academic Psychiatry and Eliminating the Stigma of Mental Illness and Promoting Mental Health.
- Outstanding educator of the Year 2021-2022
- Top Psychiatrist, Latino’s Who’s Who, 2019
- Junior Teaching Award, University of Miami, 2012
- Woman Extraordinaire, Business Leader, 2011
- Junior Teaching Award, University of Miami, 2010
- Special Care Award, Veterans Administration, 2009
- Senior Teaching Award, University of Miami, 2009
- Rustad, J.K., Junquera, P., Chaves, L., and Eth, S. “Civil Commitment among Patients with Alcohol and Drug Abuse: Practical, Conceptual and Ethical Issues” Addictive Disorders and their Treatment.
- Castellanos, D., Junquera, P. “Designer Drug Use and Abuse: Implications for Psychiatrists”. Psychiatric Times, November 12, 2013, 1-6
- Reidy L.J., Junquera, P., Van Dijck K.R., Steele B.W. and Salloum I. “The Use of Synthetic Cathinones and Tryptamines in a Psychiatric Population”. Journal of Forensic Toxicology & Pharmacology. 2013, 2:2
- Reidy, L.J., Junquera, P., Van Dijck, K., Steele, B.W., Nemeroff, C.B. Underestimation of substance abuse in psychiatric patients by conventional hospital screening. J Psychiatry Res. 2014 Dec;59:206-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2014.08.020. Epub 2014 Sep 10. PMID: 25262418.
- Samman, J, Ferrer, G, Oms, J, Junquera, P, Dumenigo, R. “Synthetic Cannabis Overdose and Withdrawal in a Young Adult: A Case Report”, Commentary on Regulation, and Review of the Literature. September 2016 Case Reports in Psychiatry 2016(6):1-7
- Grenier, E, Ryan ,M, Mythani, Z, Junquera, P” Cannabis use and Psychosis” September 2013Addictive Disorders & Their Treatment12(3):136-139