Leonard M. Gralnik, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor; Clerkship Director; Senior Medical Director
Office: AHC1 - 349A
Dr. Gralnik received his PhD and MD degrees from the University of Miami School of Medicine. He completed residency and fellowship training in general psychiatry and child and adolescent psychiatry at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, He is board certified in Psychiatry as well as Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and served as Chief Fellow in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He was medical director of the Nova Southeastern University Community Mental Health center and later medical director of the Student Counseling Center at Nova Southeastern University. Dr. Gralnik is currently Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, and director of the psychiatry clerkship at Florida International University’s Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. He is also the Senior Medical Director of the FIU Health Faculty Group Practice. From 2016-2019, Dr. Gralnik served as vice-chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at Broward Health Medical Center, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. He is a Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
Education and Training:
- Fellowship, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
- Residency, General Psychiatry, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
- Internship, Internal Medicine, East Tennessee State University Quillen-Dishner College of Medicine
- MD, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL
- PhD in Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL
- BA Chemistry, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- Teaching Award for Outstanding Educational Achievement, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Miami, FL - 2018.
- Excellence in Medical Student Teaching Award, Periods 3 and 4, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Miami, FL - 2017.
- Faculty Inductee into the Herbert Wertheim Chapter of the Gold Humanism Honors Society, recognizing faculty who exemplify excellence in clinical care, ethical leadership, compassion, and dedication to service - 2016.
- Castellanos, D., & Gralnik, L. M. (2014). Medical Student Suicide: Assessment and Prevention. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry,58(2), 17-19.
- Castellanos, D., & Gralnik, L. M. (2016). Synthetic cannabinoids 2015: An update for pediatricians in clinical practice. World Journal of Clinical Pediatrics,5(1), 16. doi:10.5409/wjcp.v5.i1.16
- Flemons, D., & Gralnik, L. M. (2015). Relational Suicide Assessment: Risks, Resources, and Possibilities for Safety. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy,129-130.
- Flemons, D., & Gralnik, L. (2013). A Relational Approach to Suicide Assessment. PsycEXTRA Dataset. doi:10.1037/e506242013-071
- Gralnik, L., & Flemons, D. (2012). How to assess and ensure the safety of your suicidal patients. Florida Family Physician. 61(1), 12-14.