Eugenio M. Rothe, M.D.
Professor; Assistant Clerkship Director
Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Office: AHC4 251
Specialty: General and Adult Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Forensic (Medical-Legal) Psychiatry, Adult Psychoanalysis
Practice Location: FIU Health Miami 11200 SW 8th Street, Miami, FL 33199
Dr. Eugenio Rothe is a founding faculty member and the founder and director of the Medical Professionalism Course, which prepares students for the intense psychological experiences of becoming a doctor. This nationally recognized and award-winning course teaches the "Art of Medicine," focusing on understanding, teaching, and promoting the human attributes that help improve the quality of doctor-patient relationships.
Rothe also serves as Assistant Clerkship Director for the medical student psychiatry rotations. In addition, he teaches the PGY II Normal Development Seminar and the PGY III Psychotherapy Seminar in the Psychiatry Residency Program. He also teaches and supervises in the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program. He holds adjunct academic appointments and collaborates in research with the Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, the Latin American and Caribbean Center, and the Cuban Research Institute at FIU.
Rothe is an internationally renowned expert on the mental health of immigrants, refugees, and minority populations. He is trained in adult, adolescent, child, and forensic psychiatry, and psychoanalysis.
Psychoanalysis, Florida Psychoanalytic Institute, Coral Gables, FL
Residency, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Harvard University / Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, MA
Chief Resident, Psychiatry, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
Residency, General Psychiatry, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
Medical and Surgical Internships, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Doctor in Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santiago, Dominican Republic
President, American Association for Social Psychiatry (2019-2021)
President, South Florida Regional Council of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Society of Hispanic Psychiatry Lifetime Achievement Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Edward B. Harris Award
- American Psychiatric Association Bruno Lima Award
- American Psychiatric Association Nancy C. Roeske Award
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Jean Spurlock Award
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Distinguished Member Award
- Florida International University Top Scholar Award
- Best Doctors in America 2015-present
- Rothe E.M., Pumariega A.J. (2020) Immigration, Cultural Identity and Mental Health: Psychosocial Implications of the Reshaping of America. (Book) Oxford University Press. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/immigration-cultural-identity-and-mental-health-9780190661700?cc=us&lang=en&
- Rothe E.M., Fortuna L. R., Londono-Tobon A., Postlethwaite A., Sanchez-Lacay Anglero Y. L. (2021) Structural Inequities and the Impact of COVID-19 on Latinx Children: Implications for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Practice. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33662497/
- Rothe E. M., Bonnin R. (2020) Utilizing Psychodynamic Principles to Teach Professionalism to Medical Students through an Innovative Curriculum. Psychodynamic Psychiatry. 48, No. 4. Winter. 477-497.
- Rothe E.M. Pumariega A.J., Gogeneni R.R. (2019) The Current Refugee Problem Around the World: Implications for Social Psychiatry. World Social Psychiatry 1. Issue 1. 50-53. December
- Rothe E.M., Pumariega A.J, Mihajlovic A.S., May C.,Ruiz P.,Perras N.,(2019) Shelter from the Storm: Psychiatric Diagnosis and Treatment of the Refugee Patient. J Addictive Disorders and their Treatment. 21.