Lozano Leon, Juan Manuel, MD, MSc
Chief of the Division of Medical and Population Health Sciences, Education and Research, Director for the Research Scholarship Course, and Professor
Office: AHC1 443
Division: Medical and Population Health Sciences Research
Juan M. Lozano, MD, is a pediatrician and clinical epidemiologist. He joined FIU HWCOM as Professor in October 2009.
Prior to FIU, Lozano worked at Javeriana University in Bogota, Colombia, where he was Professor of Pediatrics and of Clinical Epidemiology and directed the Departments of Pediatrics (1994-1999) and of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (1999-2009). He was Medical Officer for Research at the WHO Acute Respiratory Infections Control Programme in Geneva, Switzerland (1993-1994), and directed the National Program of Science and Technology in Health at the Department for Science, Technology and Innovation (Colciencias), the governmental institution that manages public research funds in Colombia (1995-1996).
He has published more than 90 articles in medical journals and about 20 book chapters. He has been author and editor of systematic reviews for the Acute Respiratory Infections Group of the Cochrane Collaboration, and was the chief editor of Pediatria, the main pediatric journal in his country.
Master of Science (Clinical Epidemiology), McMaster University, Canada (1988)
Pediatrics, Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia (1986)
M.D., Javeriana University, Bogota, Colombia (1982)
- Benaris D, Lozano JM, Higley R, Lowe D. Ondansetron Prescription is Associated with Reduced Return visits to the Pediatric Emergency Department for Children with Gastroenteritis. Ann Emerg Med 2020 (in press).
- Rojas-Reyes MX, Lozano JM, Solà I, Soll R. Overview of ventilation strategies for the early management of intubated preterm infants. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD011663. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011663
- Rojas M, Lozano JM, Rojas MX, Rodriguez V, Rondón MA, Bastidas J, Pérez LA, Rojas C, Ovalle O, Garcia JE, Tamayo ME, Ruiz Gloria C, Ballesteros A, Archila M, Arévalo M, on behalf of the Colombian Neonatal Research Network. Prophylactic Probiotics to Prevent Death and Nosocomial Infection in Preterm Infants. Colombian Neonatal Research Network. Pediatrics 2012;130:e1113–e1120
- Addo-Yobo E, Chisaka N, Hassam M, Hibberd P, Lozano JM, Jeena P, et al for the Amoxicillin Penicillin Pneumonia International Study (APPIS) Group. Oral amoxicillin versus injectable penicillin for severe pneumonia in children aged 3 – 59 months: a randomised multicentre equivalence study. Lancet 2004;364:1141-8
- The Magpie Trial Collaborative Group. Do women with pre-eclampsia, and their babies, benefit from magnesium sulphate? The Magpie Trial: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2002;359:1877-90