Nana Aisha Garba, M.D., Ph.D., MPH
Humanities, Health, and Society
Office: AHC2 589B
Specialty: Family Medicine
Certification: Licensed by the Florida Board of Family Medicine
Nana Aisha Garba, M.D., Ph.D., MPH, is a supervising faculty physician in the Green Family Foundation Neighborhood Health Education Learning Program (NeighborhoodHELP). Through NeighborhoodHELP, Dr. Garba conducts household visits in underserved communities within Miami-Dade County with interprofessional teams of FIU students. She is the course director of the community medicine practicum, co-course director for the fundamentals of community-engaged physician course, and a course administrator for the community-engaged physician longitudinal course series. She is also the current research lead at the Department of Humanities, Health, and Society.
Certificate (Environmental Health Toxicology), Florida International University, Miami, Florida
Ph.D. (Public Health), Florida International University, Miami, Florida
MPH (Public Health), Florida International University, Miami, Florida
MBBS (Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria
Areas of Interest/Research
- Primary Care
- Health Disparities & Social Determinants of Health
- Policy & Health Advocacy
- Medical Education
- Program Evaluation
- Garba NA, Anderson F, Schneider GW, Bisschops J, Bhoite P, Lage OO, Sackstein R, Brown DR. Caring for Vulnerable Communities in Miami Dade County during the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2021;32(2):598-606. doi: 10.1353/hpu.2021.0088. PMID: 34120960.
- Stumbar, S., Garba, NA., Stevens, M., Bhoite, P., Uchiyama, E., & Gray, E. (2021). Using a Hybrid Lecture and Small Group Standardized Patient Case to Teach the Inclusive Sexual History and Transgender Patient Care. Southern Medical Journal, 114(1), 17–22.
- Sairenji, T., Stumbar, S. E., Garba, NA., Bhoite, P., de la Cruz, M. S., Stubbs, C., … Everard, K. M. (2020). Moving Toward a Standardized National Family Medicine Sub-Internship Curriculum: Results from a CERA Clerkship Directors Survey. FAMILY MEDICINE, 52(27), 523–527. https://journals.stfm.org/familymedicine/2020/july-august/sairenji-2019-0009/
- Stumbar SE, Garba NA, Bhoite P, Ravelo N, Shringarpure N. Pilot Study of a Free Long-Acting Reversible Contraception Program on a Mobile Health Center in Miami Dade County, Florida. J Immigr Minor Health. 2020 Apr;22(2):421-425. doi: 10.1007/s10903-019-00937-y. PMID: 31620965.
- Stumbar SE, Garba NA, Holder C. Let’s talk about sex: the social determinants of sexual and reproductive health for second-year medical students. MedEdPORTAL. 2018;14:10772. https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10772
- Principal Investigator, Characterizing the effect of NeighborhoodHELP on COVID-19 related outcomes, Florida Blue Foundation
- CoInvestigator, Community-Engaged Research on COVID-19 Testing Among Underserved and/or Vulnerable Populations, National Institutes of Health
- Senior Key Personnel, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparity funded Research Center in Minority Institution, FIU Robert Stempel College of Public Health and Social Work
- Coinvestigator External Evaluation of Closing the Gap (CTG), Florida Department of Health's grant program to reduce racial and ethnic health disparities
- CoInvestigator, FIU Center for Reducing Health Disparities in Substance Abuse & HIV in South Florida.COVID-19 Supplemental grant.