Humanities, Health, and Society; Division of Family and Community Medicine
Office: AHC2 555
Specialty: Emergency Medicine
Languages Spoken: English, French, Spanish, Haitian-Creole
Tessa Haspil-Corgan, MD, has over 20 years of medical practice. In 2012, she began teaching medical students on rotation at the Baptist Health South Florida Emergency Department. Then in 2020, she joined the college of medicine full-time. Dr. Haspil-Corgan challenges students to address systemic injustices in medicine and deliver care to communities with limited access to services through the Green Family Foundation NeighborhoodHELP program. Recently, she focused on combating vaccine hesitancy in South Florida through grassroots educational programming. Dr. Haspil-Corgan teaches clinical skills, community-engaged physician courses, core concepts in medicine, and surgery and neurology clerkships. She serves on the HWCOM Admissions Committee and is the faculty advisor for the White Coats for Black Lives student interest group.
Dr. Haspil-Corgan is a fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine. She was a founding member of the Emergency Medicine Residency program at University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey.
Residency, Emergency Medicine, Jacobi-Montefiore Medical Center, NY
Intern, Internal Medicine, Saint Vincent's Medical Center, NY
MD, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
BA, French Literature and Linguistics, College of Arts & Sciences, New York University, NY
French Baccalaureate Degree, Economics & Social Sciences, Lycée Français De New York
Areas of Interest
- Health Care Quality and Management
- Health Education
- Equity and Social Justice
- Mentorship and Leadership in Medical Education
- Medical Ethics
- Haspil-Corgan, TA, "Why I Decided to participate in a COVID-19 Vaccine Trial – A Reminder that Diversity in Medicine Cannot be an After-Thought," American Association of Emergency Medicine Women in EM Section, 2021.
- Haspil-Corgan, TA, "Concomitant Nephrotic Syndrome and Hypothyroidism in a 3-Year-Old Girl," Office and Emergency Pediatrics 2000, 13:106-109 (Case of the Month Report), 2000.
- Haspil-Corgan T., Tewari M., Low R., Geoff W., "The Effects of Weather on Pneumonia Incidence." Abstract accepted and presented at ACEP, San Francisco, CA. October 17, 2004
- Lamba, S., Haspil-Corgan, T., Chun, S., Low, R. "Reliability of Radiology Resident Radiograph Interpretation in a Tertiary Care Center." Abstract accepted and presented at SAEM Conference, Orlando, FL. May 18, 2004