Gregory William Schneider, M.D.
Humanities, Health, and Society; Division of Family and Community Medicine
Office: AHC2 587
Specialty: Family Medicine
Dr. Gregory Schneider teaches medical students at all levels, concentrating on clinical skills, ethics, and the social factors involved in health. His career has focused on higher and medical education with over 20 years of teaching. Schneider spent a decade teaching undergraduate liberal arts, earning tenure at a liberal arts college, and more than 10 years teaching at the medical school level. He has practiced primary care in academic health, student health care, and community health center settings. These experiences have all contributed to his appreciation of the importance of the doctor-patient relationship, empathy, and working as part of a diverse caregiving team.
Residency, Family Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia, MO
M.D., University of Missouri-Columbia
American Board of Family Medicine
Areas of Interest/Research
- Health Equity
- Literature and Medicine
- Medical Ethics and Ethical Decision-Making
- Preventive Medicine
- Stumbar SE, Bracho A, Schneider G, Samuels M, Gillis M. Narrative Medicine Rounds: Promoting Student Well-Being during the Third Year of Medical School. South Med J. 2020;113(8):378-383. doi:10.14423/SMJ.0000000000001131.
- Whisenant E.B., Garba N.A., Schneider G.W., Camps-Romero E., Lage O.G., Pedoussaut M., Brown D.R., Greer P.J. (2020). The community engaged physician: teaching social accountability through interprofessional teamwork and service-learning. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 2020(162), 135-143. https://doi.org/10.1002/tl.20398
- Schneider, G., Gillis, M., Kirchmer, K. et al. Guests, hosts, and teaching the ethics of service learning in medicine. International Journal of Ethics Education (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40889-019-00080-0
- Schneider, G. W., & Winslow, R. (2014). Parts and wholes: the human microbiome, ecological ontology, and the challenges of community. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 57, 208–23.
- Schneider, G. W. (2008). Cinematic ceremony: toward a new definition of ritual. Visual Anthropology, 21, 1–17.