Anderson, Frederick W, MD
Associate Professor; Medical Director
Humanities, Health, and Society; Division of Family and Community Medicine
Office: AHC2 554B
Specialty: Family Medicine
Certification: American Board of Family Medicine
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish, Japanese
As medical director for the Department of Humanities, Health, and Society, Dr. Frederick Anderson oversees clinical care provided by the Green Family Foundation Neighborhood Health Education Learning Program (NeighborhoodHELP). He also teaches HWCOM medical students at all levels as well as residents enrolled in the West Kendall Baptist Hospital-Florida International University Family Medicine Residency.
Dr. Anderson’s projects and scholarship efforts include incorporating social determinants of health into the medical care plan, integrating behavioral health with primary care, and using telehealth and health information technology to improve care for underserved populations. He has been the principal investigator for numerous grants to support clinical services and publishes to disseminate lessons learned from NeighborhoodHELP.
Dr. Anderson is an Albert Schweitzer Fellowship recipient and former National Health Service Corps participant. His passion is to care for and promote health equity for underserved individuals and families in NeighborhoodHELP.
Family Medicine Residency, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Areas of Interest
- Health Care for Underserved Populations
- Health Equity
- Climate Change and Health
- Anderson F, Wells A, Levine L, Stumbar S, Gwynn L, Maurer M. Connecting PCPs with Specialists in Free Clinics Via Telehealth: A Pilot Project with Three Miami Clinics and The MAVEN Project. Manuscript accepted for publication in Journal of HealthCare for the Poor and Underserved.
- Dorcius D, Levitt E, McCauley A, Levine J, Carleton L, Martinez Harvell G, Pedoussaut M, Bisschops J, Wells A, Anderson F. Performance of a Student-run, Community Outreach Program at Reaching At-risk Populations in Miami-Dade County. Florida Medical Student Research Journal. 2019: 20-26.
- Greer PJ, Brown DR, Brewster LG, Lage OG, Esposito KF, Whisenant EB, Anderson FW, Castellanos NK, Stefano TA, Rock JA. Socially Accountable Medical Education: An Innovative Approach at Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Academic Medicine. 2018-93(1):60-65.
- Persaud-Sharma D and Anderson F. Defining the role of a medical student during a sub-internship. Journal of Contemporary Medical Education 2016-4(3):123-124.
- Anderson F, Bose N, Hammad Z. Precepting in the Community. Florida Family Physician. 2014;63(1):16-18.