Holder, Cheryl L
Interim Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, Inclusivity, and Community Initiatives; and Associate Professor
Office: AHC2 553
Cheryl L. Holder is board certified in Internal Medicine and has dedicated her medical career to serving underserved populations. She began her career in 1987 as a National Health Service Corp Scholar working with medically underserved communities in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Under the tutelage of Lynn Carmichael, MD, known as the “father of Family Medicine,” Holder supervised University of Miami Family Medicine Residents during their Internal Medicine rotation at Jackson Memorial Hospital. From 1990 to 2009, Holder served as Medical Director for Jackson Health System’s North Dade Health Center. As Medical Director, she developed an HIV care and treatment program with funding through the Ryan White Care Act. Holder has participated in Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Institute of Health advisory and programmatic review panels for HIV treatment and vaccine research. Holder directed the first school-based health center in Miami-Dade County, founded the Florida Coalition for School-based Health Care Services, and participated in the effort to expand school-based health care in Miami-Dade County, Florida. In September 2009, she joined Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine as faculty. Her focus is on teaching medical students about working in underserved communities and promoting diversity in the health professions through pipeline programs. Holder is Director for the “Period One Primary Care Preceptorship.”
Education and Training
- MD, The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Harlem Hospital, New York, New York
- Fellowship, Community Clinical Skills Scholar, Department of Family Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
- Internal Medicine
- Botelho R, Engle B, Mora J, Holder C. Brief Interventions for Alcohol Misuse Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 38. 2011:105-123.
- Holder C, Louis LN. Pumpkin Soup is for Sunday. EducaVision Inc. 2010.
- Holder C. Girls Are Most At Risk. Miami Herald. November 12, 1998.
- Cornwall-Jones CA, Holder CL. Early Olfactory Learning is Influenced by Sex in Hamsters But not Rats. Physical Behavior. Dec 23 1979: (B) 1835-48.
- Spirit of Excellence Award, Dade County Medical Association, 2011
- Community Advocate Award, National Medical Association, 2011
- Jacqueline M. Davis, BSN Award for Collaboration and Support, National Black Nurses Association, 2010
- Success South Florida’s 50 Most Powerful Black Professionals, 2008
- Miami-Dade Area Health Education Center, Cheryl Holder Scholarship for Medical Students, 2008
- Success South Florida 25 Most Influential and Prominent Black Women, 2007
- Robert Wood Johnson Community Leadership Program $25,000 Sabbatical Award, 2005
- South Florida AIDS Network Community Activism and Leadership Award World AIDS Day, 2005
- Shelbourne House and Fernwood Apartments Award Plaque – Recognition of 10 years of Outstanding Service to the Board of Directors, 2003
- Women of Distinction – Women’s History Month Certificate of Appreciation, The Miami-Dade County Office of the Mayor and Board of County Commissioners
Areas of Interest
- School Health and Adolescents
- Health Promotion and Education