Jenny Fortun, PhD
Assistant Dean for Foundational Sciences Curriculum; and Associate Professor
Cellular Biology & Pharmacology
Office: AHC2 478
Jenny Fortun, PhD, has been involved in curriculum design and implementation, as well as the teaching of various foundational sciences including biochemistry, physiology, immunology, and neuroscience.
Postdoctoral fellowship, Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL
PhD, Biomedical Sciences, Neuroscience, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
BS, Biochemistry, University of Havana, Cuba
- Aesculapius award
- Alumni Graduate Fellowship, UF College of Medicine
- The Bryan W. Robinson Neurological Foundation Grant-in-Aid Achievement award
- FORE-SCI Education & Training/Outreach NIH grant
Areas of interest/specialization
Fortun is involved in various areas of medical education. She is interested in the development of teaching strategies that promote critical thinking skills and highlight the importance of foundational sciences for clinical reasoning. In parallel, she is involved in the development of assessment methods to evaluate the application of foundational knowledge to diagnostic reasoning and interpretation of clinical information.
- Fortun J, Tempest HG. A case for written examinations in undergraduate medical education: experiences with modified essay examinations. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education (2020) DOI: 10.1080/02602938.2020.1714543
- Ioannou D, Fortun J, Tempest HG. Meiotic nondisjunction and sperm aneuploidy in humans Reproduction (2018) 157 R15-31
- Fortun J, Morales AC, Tempest HG (2016) Introduction and evaluation of case-based learning in the first foundational course of an undergraduate medical curriculum. Journal of Biological Education, 51:3, 295-304.
- Tempest HG, Gillis M, Weiler T, Fortun J. Design of a Platform to Discuss Ethical Considerations of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis: a Case for Integration of Ethics in Foundational Science Medical Curriculum Med. Sci. Educ (2016).
- Fortun J, Toonkel R, Berrocal Y. Case-Based Discussion: Hypertension. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2014. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/doi/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9994, http://dx.doi.org/ 10.15766/ mep_2374-8265.9994.