Orhan Arslan, DVM, PhD
Cellular Biology & Pharmacology
Specialization: Anatomy, Neuroscience
Orhan E. Arslan, DVM, PhD, is a medical educator with extensive experience in curricular design and restructuring. He is an advisor and mentor to medical students and directs the Structure of the Human body course, neuroscience, and other systemic courses. He conducts research on medical education such as the efficacy and impact of curricular innovations on students’ performances.
Arslan has published the first and second editions of the textbook “Neuroanatomical Basis of Clinical Neurology,” and is a member of the scientific advisory board of education and research and journals. Prior to joining HWCOM, he worked at the USF Health Morsani College of Medicine as a professor and the anatomy program and pre-clerkship integration director. He also had a teaching position at the Chicago Medical School.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
PhD, Anatomy and Neuroscience, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
DVM, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Computational neuroanatomy and pre-clerkship curricular design
- Basic Science Professor of the Year, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Chicago, IL
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Medical Education, Chicago Medical School, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Chicago, IL
- Dean’s Performance Award, Freshman Class Most Outstanding Instructor, Most Outstanding Preclinical Professor, Dean’s Education Bonus, and Inter-professionalism awards for several consecutive academic years (2007-2017), University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, Tampa, FL
- Kalava, A., Arslan, O. E., & McClain, R. L. (2019). Supraspinatus plane block: A novel approach to suprascapular nerve block for rotator cuff repair. Journal of clinical anesthesia, 57, 20–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2019.02.023. Impact Factor 6.039.
- Arslan, O (2019). Anatomy and physiology of retina and posterior segment of the eye, In: Drug delivery for the posterior segment of the eye. Springer Publishing Group. pp 3-33, 2018. ISBN 978-3-319-958071.
- Arslan, A. Mahmud, M. Zeini (2016). Perceptions and realities of United States Licensing Examination Step 1 and Step 2. Proceedings of ICERI2016. (International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation). ISBN: 978-84-617-5895-1. ISBN:2340-109. doi:10.21125/iceri.2016.1156.
- Arslan, D. Lutfi (2016). Impact of Student Assessment on Curricular Design in Anatomy. Proceedings of ICERI2016. ISBN: 978-84-617-5895-1. ISBN: 2340-1095.doi:10.21125/ iceri. 2016.1123.
- O. Arslan (2014). Neuroanatomical Basis of Clinical Neurology, a textbook and atlas of Neuroanatomy, CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Publishing Group- Second Edition. ISBN-10: 1439848335 | ISBN-13: 978-1439848333.