Carolyn D. Runowicz, MD
Executive Associate Dean for Academic Affairs ; and Professor
Office: AHC2 668
Carolyn D. Runowicz, MD is a nationally and internationally recognized leader in women's health and gynecologic cancer. She has initiated and led research focused on the conduct of clinical trials in gynecologic cancer and in cancer prevention. As an educator, Dr. Runowicz serves as the Executive Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for HWCOM. She has authored more than 200 scientific articles and 5 books and serves as a role model and mentor for faculty and students.
Dr. Runowicz is a reviewer for several medical journals and has served on editorial boards in recognition of her expertise in women's health and gynecologic cancers. She is on several scientific advisory boards and expert review panels, including the National Cancer Institute and the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation.
- Distinguished Service Award by the Society of Gynecologic Oncology
- University of Connecticut Distinguished Alumni Award
- The American Medical Women's Association Local Legend Award
- Cancer Care Physician of the Year Award
- First woman president of the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists (2000)
- President of the American Cancer Society (2005)
- Member of the National Cancer Advisory Board (NCAB), appointed by President George W. Bush.
- Chair of the NCAB for 4 years (2006-2010)
- Board of Directors of the American Society of Clinical Oncology as the first gynecologic oncologist (2011-2015)
- 2 terms as Vice President of the American Gynecological and Obstetrical Foundation Board
Dr. Runowicz has also served on numerous committees for the Society of Gynecologic Oncology, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, American Cancer Society, the National Cancer Institute, the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, the American Society of Clinical Oncology and the American Gynecologic and Obstetrical Society.