Chang, Winnie, EdD
Title: Director, Student Academic Success Services; Learning Scientist; Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Office: AHC2 - 461A
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Dr. Chang is the Director of Student Academic Success Services, a Learning Scientist, and Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Dr. Chang oversees the Student Academic Success Services, which includes all peer-teaching supplemental academic programs and learning scientist services available to all medical students. As a Learning Scientist, Dr. Chang supports medical students in their learning journey as they progress through medical school. Through teaching students evidence-based active learning strategies, she helps students enhance their learning and success in medical school.
Dr. Chang has worked with diverse student populations, including at-risk student athletes at the University of Michigan, students with learning disabilities at the University of Miami, English language learners at Miami Dade College, and adult students in medical education, for over 14 years. She is dedicated to fostering motivation, academic accountability, and evidence-based active learning strategies in students to develop life-long learners.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology and Sociology, University of Michigan;
- Master of Arts (MA) in Education, University of Michigan
- Doctor of Education (EdD) in Higher Education Leadership, University of Miami
- Lupi, C., Ward-Peterson, M., & Chang, W. (2016). Advancing non-directive pregnancy options counseling skills: A pilot Study on the use of blended learning with an online module and simulation. Contraception,94(4), 348-352. doi:10.1016/j.contraception.2016.03.005
- Ward-Peterson, M., & Chang, W. (2018). #MeToo and #TimesUp in Academic Medicine. Academic Medicine,93(8), 1099. doi:10.1097/acm.0000000000002278