Dr. Pilakka Kanthikeel has been working on innate immune defects and B-cell dysfunctions on HIV infected patients. Presently he is focusing on modulation of microRNAs by drugs of abuse, and their role in HIV associated neurocognitive disorder (HAND). He is also working on drug delivery across the blood brain barrier using magnetic nanocarriers.
Education and Training
- Ph.D, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh - India
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â HIV Immunology/NeuroAIDS/Nanomedicine
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Young Investigator Award at CROI, Boston, Feb 27 â March 2, 2011.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Young Investigator Award at CROI, San Francisco Feb 16-19, 2010.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Senior Research Fellowship - Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), India
- Sudheesh Pilakka-Kanthikeel, Terry Fenton, Sharon Huang, Lin Ye Song, Bill Borkowsky, Cloeen Cunningham, Savita Pahwa. Microbial translocation in pediatric HIV-1 infection is associated with persistent monocyte activation independent of T-cell activation. (Ped Inf Dis Journal 2012 Jun; 31(6):583-91).
- Narayanan Nair, Sudheesh Pilakka-Kanthikeel, Zainulabedin Saiyed, Adriana Yndart and Madhavan Nair. Silicone Nanoparticles (SNP) do not Induce Immune Responses by NaÃ¯ve Human Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells: Implications in breast implants. (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 2012 Jul;130(1):128e-37e)
- Sudheesh Pilakka-Kanthikeel, Zainulabedin M. Saiyed, Jessica Napuri, Madhavan P. N. Nair. MicroRNA: implications in HIV, a brief overview. (Journal of NeuroVirology, July 2011; 17(5): 416-23).
- Suresh Pallikkuth, Pilakka-Kanthikeel S, Sandra Y. Silva, Margaret Fischl, Rajendra Pahwa, and Savita Pahwa. Innate immune defects correlate with failure of antibody responses to H1N1/09 vaccine in HIV-infected patients. (J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011, June 11;128(6):1279-85).
- Suresh Pallikkuth, Pilakka-Kanthikeel S, Sandra Y. Silva, Margaret Fischl, Rajendra Pahwa, and Savita Pahwa. Upregulation of IL-21 Receptor on B Cells and IL-21 Secretion Distinguishes Novel 2009 H1N1 Vaccine Responders from Non responders among HIV-Infected Persons on Combination Antiretroviral Therapy (The Journal of Immunology. 2011, 186: 6173â6181).