Minor, Suzanne Elizabeth
Title: Director of Clinical Faculty Development; and Associate Professor
Office: AHC2 463
Department(s): Office of Learning and Teaching
Suzanne Minor, MD, is a board-certified family medicine physician and medical educator serving as the Director of Clinical Faculty Development at the Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (FIUHWCOM). In this role, she is expanding and implementing a comprehensive clinical faculty development program in a distributed community model of clinical education consisting of numerous institutions and community sites. Through educating faculty and students, she strives to cultivate physician resiliency and empower patients. Dr. Minor was the founding Family Medicine Clerkship Director at FIUHWCOM, crafting and implementing a new curriculum for the clerkship.
Additionally, she has been deeply involved in developing full-time and voluntary clinical faculty in multiple domains, including scholarship, pedagogy, and clinical and classroom teaching. She has chaired the Steering Committee for the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Group on Medical Student Education. Dr. Minor has presented nationally on the topics of the millennial learner; clinical faculty recruitment, retention, and faculty development; home visits as an undergraduate clinical education platform; clerkship director roles and tasks; and mentoring. Peer-reviewed publications include narrative medicine and education-related pieces in Family Medicine, Pulse, and the STFM National Clerkship Curriculum Project.
Education and Training
- BS, Biological Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- MD, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida
- Residency, Family Medicine, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Program, Miami, Florida
- Chief Resident, Family Medicine, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital Family Medicine Program, Miami, Florida
- Fellowship, Medical Student Education Development Institute, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Fellowship (2011)
- Family Medicine
- Minor SE. Community Resources and Self-Assessment in the Family Medicine Clerkship. Family Medicine Digital Resources Library; 2011. Available at: http://www.fmdrl.org/3373.
- Minor SE. I am the patient. The Pharos. 2009:49.
- Shahady E, Minor SE. Suspected Avascular Necrosis in a Runner. Consultant. 2004; 44:282.
- Minor SE, Djahed B. Are these typical anxiety attacks? Patient Care. 2002; 9:62.
- Educational Leadership Enhancement Program Fellow, Florida International University Leadership Hallmark in Higher Education, 2011-12
- Student’s Choice Award Faculty Advisor/Mentor of the Year and the Panther Community of the Year Award, FIU HWCOM, 2011
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians, First Place, Research Poster Contest, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2001
- Iron Arrow Honor Society, 1999
- Outstanding Senior in Family Medicine Award, 1999
Areas of Interest
- Green Family Foundation NeighborhoodHELP™
- Opa-Locka Community
- Student Mentorship and Advocacy