Toonkel, Rebecca Lyn
Title: Assistant Dean for Academic Advising; Interim Curriculum Director for Period 2; and Assistant Professor
Department(s): Office of Medical Education
Dr. Rebecca L. Toonkel, Assistant Professor of Medicine, received her medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 2004. She completed residency training in internal medicine at Columbia University of New York in 2007 and then went on to complete a three year basic science research fellowship in Pulmonary Medicine in 2010. In 2012, she completed a clinical fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital. She is board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, and Critical Care Medicine.
Education and Training
- 2012 Clinical Fellowship in Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital
- 2010 Research Fellowship in Pulmonary/Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center
- 2007 Resident in Internal Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center
- 2004 M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 2000 A.B., Biological Anthropology, Harvard College
- Toonkel RL, Hare JM, and Mathay MA et al. Mesenchymal stem cells and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: Potential for clinical testing. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2013; 188(2):133-40.
- Toonkel RL and Shafazand S. “Respiratory Alkalosis” in Clinical Decisions in Nephrology, Hypertension, and Kidney Transplantation, 2013. Springer, 151-156.
- Saeed AM, Toonkel RL, and Glassberg MK et al. The influence of Hispanic ethnicity on nonsmall cell lung cancer histology and patient survival: an analysis of the Survival, Epidemiology, and End Results Database. Cancer 2012; 118(18):4495-501.
- Toonkel RL, Borczuk AC, and Powell CA. TGF-beta signaling pathway in lung adenocarcinoma invasion. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 2010; 5(2):153-7.
- Toonkel RL, Borczuk AC, and Pearson GD et al. Sarcoidosis associated fibrosing mediastinitis with resultant pulmonary hypertension: A case report and review of the literature. Respiration 2010; 79(4):341-5.
- Toonkel RL and Powell CA. “The Gender-Specific Aspects of Lung Cancer” in Principles of Gender-Specific Medicine, 2009. Elsevier, 260-9.
- Borczuk AC, Toonkel RL, and Powell CA. Genomics of Lung Cancer. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society 2009; 6(2):152-8.
- Borczuk AC, Papanikolaou N, and Toonkel RL et al. Lung adenocarcinoma invasion in TGFBetaRII-deficient cells is mediated by CCL5/RANTES. Oncogene 2008; 27(4):557-64.
- Toonkel R, Levine M, and Gardner L. Erythropoietin deficient anemia associated with autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type I. American Journal of Hematology 2004; 75(2):84-8.
- Toonkel R and Zaas A. Cases from the Osler medical service at Johns Hopkins University. American Journal of Medicine 2003; 115(6):497-500.
- Saiz E, Toonkel R, and Poppiti RJ. Infiltrating breast carcinoma smaller than 0.5 centimeters: Is lymph node dissection necessary? Cancer 1999;85(10):2206-11.
- Pozo-Kaderman C, Kaderman RA, and Toonkel R. The psychosocial aspects of breast cancer. Nurse Practitioner Forum 1999; 10(3):165-74.