Nikkhah Moshaie, Roozbeh
Title: Postdoctoral Associate
Office: AHC1- 415
Department(s): Immunology and Nano-Medicine
Dr. Roozbeh Nikkhah-Moshaie is a Postdoctoral Associate on the Research Scientist track at Florida International University's Center for Personalized Nanomedicine. He received his Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, College of Engineering and Computing, Florida International University (FIU), Miami, FL in 2016. He is an experimental materials scientist with focus on fabrication of magnetic materials, nanotechnology, magnetic stimulation, nanomedicine, microscopy, and advanced analytical techniques. He conducts research on Alzheimer’s disease, and he is Principal Investigator (PI) on a research grant on magnetic stimulation on amyloid plaques, in vitro and in vivo.
He received his Bachelor and Master’s degree in Materials Engineering from University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran. Dr. Nikkhah-Moshaie research areas span processing, fabrication and characterization of alloys & novel multifunctional nanomaterials with magnetic, electronic, magnetocaloric, and magnetoelectric properties via arc melting, solid state, co-precipitation, hydrothermal, mechanical alloying, and sintering/ spark plasma sintering methods. He has been conducting research on design, synthesis and fabrication of novel nanoparticles/nanocarriers for noninvasive & magnetically guided drug delivery in brain. Dr. Nikkhah-Moshaie and his colleagues investigated delivery of magnetoelectric nanoparticles across blood-brain barrier in mice model, published in Scientific Reports (2016). In 2017, Dr. Nikkhah-Moshaie and his colleagues demonstrated nano-electroporation of nanoparticles, by FIB and TEM, into brain cells (in vitro) under alternating magnetic field (Scientific Reports).
Dr. Nikkhah-Moshaie also served as Adjunct Faculty at Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, College of Engineering and Computing, FIU where he taught various courses including 1. Materials Science & Engineering, 2. Thermodynamics, and 3. Transmission Electron Microscopy (electron diffraction, theory & hands-on, and data acquisition & interpretation). He is Fellow of Royal Microscopical Society and Senior member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in IEEE Magnetics and IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Societies. He has over 15 years research experience and published numerous research articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
He has been serving as a reviewer of peer-reviewed scientific journals including IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Scientific Reports, Applied Physics A, Applied Nanoscience, International Journal of Nanomedicine, and Journal of Alloys and Compounds. Dr. Nikkhah-Moshaie is serving as a Postdoctoral Fellow in two federally funded projects by the USA National Institutes of Health (NIH) working on developing nanotechnology techniques for delivery of nanotherapeutics into latently HIV infected brain cells to cure Neuro-AIDS in drug abusers.
- Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine
- Alzheimer’s and magnetic stimulation of brain, disruption of amyloid plaques
- Noninvasive & magnetically guided nanocarrier delivery across blood-brain barrier; in vitro and in vivo
- Design and development of novel nanoparticles for biomedical applications, imaging, and drug delivery
- Characterization and advanced analytical techniques by spectroscopy (AFM, STM), microscopy and microanalysis (TEM, FIB, SEM, EDS), high-resolution imaging
- Energy and advanced materials
- Interrelationship of chemical composition- micro/nanostructure- processing- properties- performance in materials
- R. Nikkhah-Moshaie, A. Kaushik, V. Bhadarwaj et al, TEM-assisted evaluation of drug nano-carrier biodistribution in the brain, Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, 13 (2018) S61.
- A. Kaushik, R. Nikkhah-Moshaie. R. Sinha et al, Investigation of ac-magnetic field stimulated nanoelectroporation of magneto-electric nano-drug-carrier inside CNS cells, Scientific Reports, 7 (2017) 45663.
- R. Nikkhah-Moshaie, A. Kaushik, R. Dev Jayant et al, TEM Investigation of Nanoparticles Distribution in Mice Brain, Microscopy & Microanalysis, 22 (2016) 1172.
- A. Kaushik, R. D. Jayant, R. Nikkhah-Moshaie et al, Magnetically guided central nervous system delivery and toxicity evaluation of magneto-electric nanocarriers, Scientific Reports, 6 (2016) 25309.
- R. Nikkhah-Moshaie, G. Bourne, M. Kirsch et al, Real time monitoring of twin boundary motion in polycrystalline magnetocaloric Ni 2+ x Mn 1− x Ga by in situ focused ion beam microscopy, Materials Letters, 180 (2016), 273.
- A. Ataie, H. Kazemzadeh, R Nikkhah-Moshaie et al, Synthesis of Nano-Crystalline Magnetite by SHS Route, , IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 45 (2009), 2496.
- M. Montazeri-Pour, A. Ataie, R. Nikkhah-Moshaie, Synthesis of Nano-Crystalline Barium Hexaferrite Using a Reactive Co-Precipitated Precursor, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 44 (2008), 4239.