Barengo, Noel Christopher
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: AHC1 342
Department(s): Medical and Population Health Sciences Research
Noël C. Barengo joined FIU's Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine in March 2016 as assistant professor at the Department of Medical and Population Health Sciences Research. He was born and raised in Switzerland where he started his academic training. He studied at the University of Zurich (Switzerland), the Karolinska Institute (Sweden) and University of Eastern Finland where he graduated as MD in 1999. Thereafter he completed a Master in Public Health (2001) and a PhD in Public Health (2006) at the University of Eastern Finland (former University of Kuopio). He was given the title of lecturer in public health at the University of Helsinki in Finland in 2009. He has worked as independent consultant in non-communicable diseases for the Pan-American Health Organization, the ASPIRE center in Qatar, the Ministries of Health of Argentina, Colombia and Paraguay. Dr. Barengo has 20 years teaching experience in epidemiology, research methods and public health. Among others, he has been teaching biostatistics, public health, health promotion, global health, epidemiology and research methods in pre- and post-graduated programs at several Universities in Europe and Latin America. Dr. Barengo´s primary research interests are prevention and control of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases. Furthermore, his scientific research has been focused on how to control and improve lifestyle habits and risk factors of non-communicable diseases in the population and high-risk groups. Dr. Barengo is one of the most highly respected and well-known international experts in diabetes screening and prevention in Latin America. As an expert in diabetes screening and prevention, his services have been requested by many countries in the Americas including Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, and Peru. He has published more than 90 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and contributed three book chapters. His H index is 27 and by 2019 his publications have received close to 5000 citations.
You may follow his career on: https://www.facebook.com/NoelCBarengo/
Some selected publications (full list available by e-mail)
- Barengo NC, Antikainen R, Borodulin K, Harald K, Jousilahti P. Leisure-Time Physical Activity Reduces Total and Cardiovascular Mortality and Cardiovascular Disease Incidence in Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Dec 26. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14694.
- Barengo NC, Acosta T, Arrieta A, Ricaurte C, Smits D, Florez K, Tuomilehto JO. Early Lifestyle Interventions in People with Impaired Glucose Tolerance in Northern Colombia: The DEMOJUAN Project. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(8). pii: E1403. doi: 10.3390/ijerph16081403
- Barengo NC, Teuschl Y, Moltchanov V, Laatikainen T, Pekka Jousilahti, Tuomilehto JO. Coronary heart disease incidence and mortality, and all-cause mortality among diabetic and non-diabetic people according to their smoking behavior in Finland. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2017 15:12 DOI 10.1186/s12971-017-0113-3
- Barengo NC, Tamayo DC, Tono T, Tuomilehto J. A Colombian diabetes risk score for detecting undiagnosed diabetes and impaired glucose regulation. Prim Care Diabetes. 2017;11(1):86-93. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2016.09.004.
- Barengo NC, Antikainen R, Peltonen M, Tuomilehto J. Changes in all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in three different Finnish population cohorts with and without diabetes. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Jul 30. doi:pii: S0167-5273(13)01449-6.