Muthu Karpuppan, Mohan Kumar
Title: Post-Doctoral Associate
Department(s): Immunology and Nano-Medicine
Dr. Mohan has obtained his Ph.D. in Pharmacology from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India in 2007. He joined this department as post-doctoral associate during 2017. Previously, he has worked as Postdoc at Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA. Dr. Mohan also has experience in working with pharmaceutical industry (Drug discovery) in India, before coming to USA. His current research is focused on animal models of Zika virus to understand the pathophysiology of Zika virus infection/transmission to fetus from pregnant mother. He is trying to explore the possible role/impact of autophagy in Zika virus infection using Beclin1 knockout autophagy mouse model. Dr.Mohan is also working on gender differences in HIV associated neuropathic pain in HIV animal model. He has developed an interest to do research on influence of autophagy on wound healing in HIV animal model. His research also includes Intranasal delivery of Nanotherapeutics for HIV attenuation in animal model.
Education and Training
- Post-doctoral fellow at Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, USA
- D. in Pharmacology from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
- Master’s in Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pharmacology) from BITS-Pilani, India
- Bachelor’s in Pharmaceutical Sciences from The TN Dr. MGR Medical University, Chennai, India
- Animal models of disease
- Neuro-inflammation and animal behavior
- Preclinical Pharmacokinetics (PK-PD)
- Ojha CR, Rodriguez M, Muthu Karuppan MK, Lapierre J, Kashanchi F, and El-Hage N. Toll-like receptor 3 regulates Zika virus infection and associated host inflammatory response in primary human astrocytes. PLoS One, 2019; 14 (2): e0208543. (PMID: 30735502)
- Rodriguez M, Lapierre J, Ojha CR, Pawitwar S, Muthu Karuppan MK, Kashanchi F and El-Hage N. Morphine counteracts the antiviral effect of antiretroviral drugs and causes upregulation of p62/SQSTM1 and histone modifying enzymes in HIV-infected astrocytes. Journal of NeuroVirology,2019; 25 (2): 263 – (PMID-30746609)
- Ojha CR, Rodriguez M, Lapierre J, Muthu Karuppan MK, Branscome H, Kashanchi F, El-Hage N. Complementary Mechanisms Potentially Involved in the Pathology of Zika Virus. Front Immunol. 2018 Oct 15;9: Article 2340 (PMID – 30374352)
- Mohan Kumar and Goyal R. LncRNA as a Therapeutic Target for Angiogenesis. Curr Top Med Chem. 2017; 17 (15): 1750 – 1757. (PMID: 27848894)
- Ravikumar Reddy, Amit Khurana, Swarna Bale, Ramu Ravirala, Samba Siva Reddy, Mohan Kumar and Chandriah Godugu. Natural flavonoids silymarin and quercetin improve the brain distribution of co-administered P-gp substrate drugs. SpringerPlus. 2016; 5: 1618 (PMID: 27652191)
- Mohan Kumar, Gautam MK, Singh A and Goel RK. Healing effects of Musa sapientum paradisiaca in diabetic rats with co-occurring gastric ulcer: cytokines and growth factor by PCR amplification. BMC Complement Altern med. 2013; 13: 305 -313. (PMID: 24192345)
- Kumar MM, Singh A, Gautam MK, Goel RK: Role of cytokines and growth factor in gastric ulcer healing effects of unripe plantain banana (Musa sapientum var. paradisiaca). In Translational Research in new Drug Development. Volume 1. 1st edition. Edited by Ray A, Gulati K. Delhi, India: Vidyanilayam Prakashan; 2012:269–284. (Book Chapter)
- Chaturvedi, M. Mohan Kumar, Bhawani G, H. Chaturvedi, Mohan Kumar and R. K. Goel. Effect of ethanolic extract of Eugenia jambolana seeds on gastric ulceration and secretion in rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol., 2007, 51 (2): 131-140. (PMID: 18175656)
- C. Joshi, M. Mohan Kumar, T. Prabha, M. Dorababu and R. K. Goel. Status of mucosal offensive and defensive factors in pylorus ligated-induced gastric ulceration in NIDDM rats vis-à-vis plantain banana. J Natural Remedies, 2007; 7(1): 125 – 131.
- K. Goel, R.N. Maiti, T. Prabha, M. Mohan Kumar, Prakash and G. Singh. Effect of Tamrabhasma (an Ayurvedic preparation of copper) on some general physiological, reproductive and laboratory parameters in rats. J Natural Remedies, 2007; 7(1): 58-65.
- K. Goel, M. Dorababu, G. Bhawani and M. Mohan Kumar. Ulcer protective effect of aqueous extract of neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf. Current Trends in Pharmacology, 2007; Chapter 34 539-548.(Book Review) edited by A. Ray and Kavita G VPCI, I.K. International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. (Book Chapter)
- Mohan Kumar, M.C. Joshi, T. Prabha, M. Dorababu and R.K. Goel. Effect of plantain banana on gastric ulceration in NIDDM rats: Role of gastric mucosal glycoproteins, cell proliferation, antioxidants and free radicals. Indian J Exp Biol., 2006; 44: 292 – 299. (PMID: 16629371)
- K. Goel, T. Prabha, M. Mohan Kumar, M. Dorababu, Prakash and G. Singh. Teratogenicity of Asparagus racemosus Willd. Root, a herbal medicine. Indian J Exp Biol., 2006; 44: 570 – 573. (PMID: 16872047)
- Dorababu, M.C. Joshi, Bhawani G, M. Mohan Kumar, A. Chaturvedi and R.K. Goel. Effect of aqueous extract of neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves on offensive and defensive gastric mucosal factors in rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol., 2006; 50: 241- 249. (PMID: 17193895)
- Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, S. Mehta, D. Nigam, M. Mohan Kumar, S. Murugesan and J.P. Stables. Anticonvulsant and neurotoxicity evaluation of some 6-substituted benzothiazolyl-2-thiosemicarbazones. IL Farmaco, 2005; 60: 1 – 5. (PMID: 15652361)
- C. Joshi, M. Dorababu, T. Prabha, M. Mohan Kumar and R.K. Goel. Effects of Pterocarpus marsupium on NIDDM-induced rat gastric ulceration and mucosal offensive and defensive factors. Indian J Pharmacol., 2004; 36 (5): 296 – 302.
- Yogeeswari, D. Sriram, V. Saraswat J.V. Ragavendran, M. Mohan Kumar, S. Murugesan, R. Thirumurugan and J.P. Stables. Synthesis and anticonvulsant and neurotoxicity evaluation of N4-phthalimido phenyl (thio)semicarbazides. Eur J Pharm Sci., 2003; 20: 341 – 346. (PMID: 14592700)