Fendl Esposito, Karin C., MD
Title: Executive Associate Dean; Professor
Office: AHC2 390
Department(s): Office of Student Affairs
Dr Esposito is Executive Associate Dean of Student Affairs. She is also a professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health at the Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Dr. Esposito was the founding program director for the psychiatry residency at Citrus Health Network. Prior to coming to FIU Dr Esposito was the Associate Chief Medical Officer for Mental Health and Ambulatory Services at Jackson Health System in Miami, Florida. She was on the faculty of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for 10 years, where she served in multiple roles including Associate Residency Training Director for psychiatry and Vice-Chair of a biomedical sciences IRB Committee. Dr Esposito received her PhD in biochemistry and her MD from the University of Miami and completed her residency training in psychiatry at Jackson Memorial Hospital. Her research interests have spanned basic and clinical research, education research, and recently hospital-based quality improvement research.
Education and Training
- Chief Resident, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Jackson Memorial Hospital/ University of Miami, Miami, Florida
- Residency, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Miami/ Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida
- MD, University of Miami School of Medicine, Coral Gables, Florida
- PhD, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
- BS, Biology, summa cum laude, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
- ELAM (Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine) Fellowship, 2011-2012
- Outstanding Educator Award, North Dade Chamber of Commerce, 2011
- NIMH Outstanding Resident Award 1998
- PRITE Fellowship, American College of Psychiatrists,1998
- Endocrine Society Young Investigator Award, 1991
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1986
- Alonso M, Jardon M, Pizarro M, Castellanos D, Aponte X, Esposito K, Foster A. (2017) The community value of academic psychiatry: the development of a psychiatry residency program in a federally qualified health center. Academic Psychiatry, doi: 10.1007/s40596-017-0724-2. PMID: 28577116.
- Greer PJ, Brown DR, Brewster LG, Lage OG, Esposito KF, Whisenant EB, Anderson FG, Castellanos NK, Stefano TA, Rock JA. (2017) Socially accountable medical education: an innovative approach at Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Academic Medicine, epub ahead of print, doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000001811. PMID: 28658020.
- Lomis K, Amiel JM, Ryan MS, Esposito K, Green M, Stagnaro-Green A, Bull J, Mejicano G. (2017) Implementing an Entrustable Professional Activities framework in undergraduate medical education: early lessons from the AAMC Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency pilot. Academic Medicine, 92: 765-770, doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000001543. PMID: 28557937.