Title: Chair, Department of Cellular Biology and Pharmacology; Associate Dean for Academic Affairs: and Professor
Office: GL 495G
Department(s): Cellular Biology and Pharmacology
As a longtime educator who has taught extensively using a variety of formats, both traditional and problem- and case-based, Professor Petroianu serves as chairman of the Department of Cellular Biology in the FIU College of Medicine. He has been on exam committees and written several Q&A books for residents preparing for certification exams. Dr. Petroianu has received multiple teaching awards, such as Best Lecturer Awards at University of Heidelberg at Mannheim and the Excellence in Teaching Award at the United Arab Emirates University twice. Dr. Petroianu received his Ph.D. (1985) and M.D. (1986) from the University of Heidelberg at Mannheim. He has worked in anesthesiology and emergency medicine and has board certifications in pharmacology and toxicology (Germany) and Clinical Pharmacology (American Board of Clinical Pharmacology). He also is a diplomat of the American Academy of Pain Management. He remained on the faculty at University of Heidelberg at Mannheim and rose through the ranks until 2002, when he became chair of the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics at the United Arab Emirates University. He is now leading a large department with multiple research and educational responsibilities and remains active at the faculty level, serving on numerous committees. Dr. Petroianu has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed research papers, 67 other non-abstracted publications and several books. His most recent research is on cholinesterase protection and reactivation in relation to organophosphate exposure. For his contribution to pharmacology, Dr. Petroianu was awarded the Issekutz Medal of the Hungarian Society of Pharmacology and Toxicology.He continues his work with the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Pharmacology and Biochemistry Test Material Development Committee. Most recently Dr. Petroianu became the recipient of an Honorary Fellowship of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland.
1. Chaudhry M, Fatmi MQ, Musilek K, Hussain A, Kuca K, Petroianu G, Kalasz H, Nurulain SM. In silico and in vitro evaluation of two novel oximes (K378 and K727) in comparison to K27 and pralidoxime against paraoxon-ethyl intoxication. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2017 Jul 19:1-29.
2. Lorke DE, Stegmeier-Petroianu A, Petroianu GA. Biologic activity of cyclic and caged phosphates: a review. J Appl Toxicol. 2017 Jan;37(1):13-22.
3. Lorke DE, Nurulain SM, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Petroianu GA. Optimal Pre-treatment for Acute Exposure to the Organophosphate Dicrotophos. Curr Pharm Des. 2016 Oct 27.
4. Miller CC, Petroianu GA. Singultus foetalis and Dr. Alfons Mermann. J Hist Neurosci. 2016 Oct-Dec;25(4):420-2.
5. Petroianu GA. Treatment of singultus by sexual stimulation: Who was George T Dexter, MD (c1812-?)? J Med Biogr. 2016 May;24(2):252-61.
6. Petroianu GA. The pharmacy in Gersfeld/Rhoen and Veit Jakob Metz (1792-1866). Pharmazie. 2016 May;71(5):292-6.
7. Miller CC, Petroianu GA. Alphons Mermann (1852-1908): hiccups, hygiene and Hebammen. J Med Biogr. 2016 Jan 12.
8. Nurulain S, Prytkova T, Sultan AM, Ievglevskyi O, Lorke D, Yang KH, Petroianu G, Howarth FC, Kabbani N, Oz M. Inhibitory actions of bisabolol on α7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Neuroscience. 2015 Oct 15;306:91-9.
9. Petroianu GA. Synthesis of tetraethyl pyrophosphate (TEPP): from physician Abbot and pharmacist Riegel to chemist Nylen. Pharmazie. 2015 Jun;70(6):427-34.
10. Petroianu GA, Nurulain SM, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Lorke DE. Reversible cholinesterase inhibitors as pre-treatment for exposure to organophosphates: assessment using azinphos-methyl. J Appl Toxicol. 2015 May;35(5):493-9.
11. Prado A, Petroianu GA, Lorke DE, Chambers JW. A trivalent approach for determining in vitro toxicology: Examination of oxime K027. J Appl Toxicol. 2015 Feb;35(2):219-27.
12. Petroianu GA. Treatment of hiccup by vagal maneuvers. J Hist Neurosci. 2015;24(2):123-36.
13. Lorke DE, Nurulain SM, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Petroianu GA. Prophylactic administration of non-organophosphate cholinesterase inhibitors before acute exposure to organophosphates: assessment using terbufos sulfone. J Appl Toxicol. 2014 Oct;34(10):1096-103.
14. Petroianu GA. Pharmacists Adolf Schall and Ernst Ratzlaff and the synthesis of tabun-like compounds: a brief history. Pharmazie. 2014 Oct;69(10):780-4.
15. Petroianu GA. The history of pyridinium oximes as nerve gas antidotes: the British contribution. Pharmazie. 2013 Nov;68(11):916-8.
16. Petroianu GA, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah M, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Lorke DE. Usefulness of administration of non-organophosphate cholinesterase inhibitors before acute exposure to organophosphates: assessment using paraoxon. J Appl Toxicol. 2013 Sep;33(9):894-900.
17. Petroianu GA. Treatment of singultus by traction on the tongue: an eponym revised. J Hist Neurosci. 2013;22(2):183-90.
18. Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah M, Kuča K, Petroianu GA. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors as pretreatment before acute exposure to organophosphates: assessment using methyl-paraoxon. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2012 Dec;11(8):1052-60.
19. Petroianu GA. History of arsenic ethers: who was Felix D'Arcet? Pharmazie. 2012 Nov;67(11):951-3.
20. Petroianu GA. The history of cholinesterase reactivation: hydroxylamine and pyridinium aldoximes. Pharmazie. 2012 Oct;67(10):874-9.
21. Petroianu GA. Pharmacist Theodor Salzer (1833-1900) and the discovery of bisphosphonates. Pharmazie. 2011 Oct;66(10):804-7.
22. Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah M, Kuča K, Petroianu GA. Pretreatment for acute exposure to diisopropylfluorophosphate: in vivo efficacy of various acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. J Appl Toxicol. 2011 Aug;31(6):515-23.
23. Petroianu GA. Toxicity of phosphor esters: Willy Lange (1900-1976) and Gerda von Krueger (1907-after 1970). Pharmazie. 2010 Oct;65(10):776-80.
24. Petroianu GA. History of organophosphate synthesis: the very early days. Pharmazie. 2010 Apr;65(4):306-11.
25. Petroianu GA. History of methyl phosphoric esters: Hall, Weger, and Lossen. Pharmazie. 2009 Dec;64(12):840-5.
26. Petroianu G, Szoke E, Kalász H, Szegi P, Laufer R, Benko B, Darvas F, Tekes K. Monitoring by HPLC of chamomile flavonoids exposed to rat liver microsomal metabolism. Open Med Chem J. 2009 Jul 29;3:1-7.
Books and Chapters
- Nicholls MG, Petroianu G & Carruthers SG (2008), Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors in Clinical Pharmacology and therapeutics of Hypertension Ed: G T Mclnnes, Vol 25. P 289 – 338. Elsevier, Amsterdam.