Lefevre, Frank Vincent
Title: Associate Professor
Education: University of Connecticut School of Medicine, 1982-1986
Certification: Internal Medicine
Department(s): Humanities, Health and Society
Dr. Lefevre has worked in academic general internal medicine for over twenty years.Â He has extensive clinical experience in hospital medicine, primary care internal medicine, and consultative medicine.Â Prior to his appointment at FIU, he worked for over ten years as a hospitalist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Â As a hospitalist, he developed expertise in the care of the hospitalized patient, teaching on the medical wards, and providing medical consultations for specialty services.
Dr. Lefevre is also an experienced medical educator. He has been actively involved in a broad range of teaching activities over this period, including teaching evidence-based medicine at all levels of clinical training.Â At Northwestern, he was involved with curriculum development in evidence-based medicine, and developed post-graduate courses for MDs, PhDâs and MPH students. He was also course director for the third-year medical studentsâ evidence-based medicine curriculum for over five years.
In addition to his academic experience, Dr. Lefevre also has expertise in evidence-based medical policy for the health insurance industry. Â He worked for more than ten years as a consultant for the Blue Cross Blue Shield Technology Evaluation Center, writing evidence reports and systematic reviews of the literature on emerging medical technologies.Â More recently, as Medical Director for the Center for Clinical Policy, Dr. Lefevre has helped promote consistent evidence-based medical policy throughout the Blue Cross System. Through TEC, he has participated in the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) Evidence Based Practice Program, both in writing evidence reports and as a member of numerous technical expert panels for other AHRQ centers.
- Lefevre F, Goodman SN, Garber A, Piper M, 2011.Â Pharmacogenetic testing for warfarin dosing still awaits validation (letter).Â J Amer Coll Cardiol, 57:756-757.
- Li B, Lefevre F, Chelimsky, et al, 2008.Â North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and nutrition consensus statement on the diagnosis and management of cyclic vomiting syndrome.Â Journal Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, 47:379-393.
- Kripalani S, Lefevre F, Phillips C, Williams M, Basaviah P, Baker D, 2007.Â Deficits in Communication and Information Transfer Between Hospital-Based and Primary Care Physicians: Implications for Patient Safety and Continuity of Care.Â JAMA,297:831-841
- Waters, TM, Lefevre, F, Budetti, PP,Â 2003. Medical School Attended as a Predictor of Medical Malpractice Claims. Â Quality and Safety in Health Care, 12:330-336.
- Lefevre FL, Woolger J,Â 2003.Â Â Surgery in the patient with Neurologic disease.Â Â Medical Clin North Am, 87(1):257-271.
- Lefevre F, Piper M, Weiss K, Mark D, Clark N, Aronson N, 2002.Â Do written action plans improve patient outcomes in asthma? An evidence-based analysis.Â J Fam Pract. 51(10):842-8.
- Marks DH, Lefevre F, Flamm CR, Aronson N, 2002.Â Evidence-based assessment of ERCP in the treatment of pancreatitis.Â Gastrointest Endosc., 56(6 Suppl):S249-54.
- Lefevre F, Waters T, Budetti P, 2000.Â Â A survey of physician training programs in risk management and communication skills for malpractice prevention.Â J Law Med & Ethics,Â 28(3):258-266