Rothe, Eugenio M., MD
Title: Professor, Assistant Clerkship Director
Office: FIU Health Miami
Specialty: General and Adult Psychiatry, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Forensic (Medical-Legal) Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Practice Location: FIU Health Miami 11200 SW 8th Street, Miami, FL 33199
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Dr Rothe is an internationally renowned expert on the mental health issues of immigrants and refugees, an area in which he has published extensively and received national awards. He is trained in adult, adolescent, child and forensic psychiatry, as well as psychoanalysis. In addition to his private practice, he sees patients at FIU-Health. He collaborates in research with the School of Public Health / Division of Health Promotion and Disease Prevention and the Cuban Research Institute at FIU. Dr. Rothe also serves on the editorial boards of several scientific journals and holds important officer positions in psychiatric national and international organizations.
Dr Rothe is Director of the Professional Behavior Course at the HWCOM, which prepares students for the intense emotional experiences they will encounter in the process of becoming a doctor. The course also focuses on understanding, teaching and promoting the human qualities that are essential to practice the medical profession and that improve the quality of doctor-patient relationship. He considers this as the “Art of Medicine”. He is also the Associate Clerkship Director for the medical student psychiatry rotations at the Maidique Campus.
Education and Training
- Psychoanalysis, Florida Psychoanalytic Institute, Coral Gables, FL
- Residency, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Harvard University / Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, MA
- Chief Resident, Psychiatry, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
- Residency, General Psychiatry, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL
- Medical and Surgical Internships, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- MD, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santiago, Dominicas Republic
- 2013 The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry’s Jean Spurlock Award for Diversity and Culture. For outstanding contributions to the treatment, advancement and understanding of members of minority populations and peoples of different cultures in the United States and the world.
- 2013 The American Psychiatric Association’s Nancy C. Roeske Award for Excellence in Teaching of Medical Students
- 2013 The Distinguished Member Award of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. For authors for Practice Parameters for the field of child and adolescent psychiatry
- Rothe E. M. Pumariega A.J. Suicide among Latinos. In: A.J. Pumariega A.J., Sharma N. (Eds). (2017). Suicide among Diverse Youth: A Case-Based Handbook, Springer. New York-London.
- Rothe E. M. (2017). Prólogo del Libro: Comprensión del Duelo en el Siglo XXI. Rosa Mariana Brea Franco (Autora). Editorial Buho. Santo Domingo, República Dominicana.
- Rothe E.M. (2017). Supportive Psychotherapy in Everyday Clinical Practice: It’s like Riding a Bicycle. Psychiatric Times. Vol. 34, No. 5. May.
- Rothe E. M, Pumariega A. J., Castillo-Matos H. (2015) Mental Health of Child and Adolescent Refugees. In: I. Ness, P. Bellwood (Eds) Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration. Wiley, New York.
- Rothe E. M, Mella Mejias C. (2015) Historia de la psiquiatria y de la Sociedad Dominicana de Psiquiatria (Vol. II). H.S. Stern-Diaz (Ed) Apuntes y Documentos para la historia de la medicina en Republica Dominicana del Siglo XX. Editora Buho, Santo Domingo, Republica Dominicana
- Pumariega A, Rothe E.M, Mian A, Carlisle L, Toppleberg C, Gogineni RR, Webb S, Smith, J, Toi Harris T, Bukstein O, Walter H, Bellonci C, Chrisman A, Hamilton J, Keable H, Quiterio N, Schoettle U, Siegel M, Stock S, & Medicus J. Practice Parameters for Cultural Competence in Child Psychiatric Practice. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013; (10):1101-15. doi: 10.1016/j.jaac.2013.06.019