Office: GL 495D
Department(s): Cellular Biology and Pharmacology
Dietrich E. Lorke studied Medicine at the Universities of Bonn (Germany), Montpellier (France) and Heidelberg (Germany), where he received his medical degree, followed by a Dr. med. from the University of Tübingen (Germany) and a PhD in Anatomy from the University of Hamburg (Germany). He worked as Junior Lecturer at the Institute of Pathology, University of Heidelberg, and later as Junior and Senior Lecturer at the Department of Neuroanatomy, University of Hamburg. In 1999, he was appointed Professor (tenured) at the University of Hamburg and in 2006 Professor of Anatomy at the University of the United Arab Emirates, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, in Al Ain. In 2009, he was appointed Professor at FIU. He is a licensed physician ("Approbierter Arzt") and board-certified in Anatomy (Germany). Dietrich E. Lorke's research focuses on Developmental Neuroanatomy: he has analyzed neurogenesis in trisomic and mutant mice and has characterized developmental changes of neurotransmitters and their receptors. Recently, he has worked on the blood-brain-barrier, analyzing the passage of oxime-type cholinesterase reactivators into the central nervous system. He has had eight appointments as Visiting Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and has received several research and teaching awards. He was awarded a scholarship from the "Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes" to pursue his studies and has received the "Leonardo-da-Vinci-Award for the Arts and Sciences" and the "Dr. Martini-Award" for his research on neurogenesis. In 2005, he was named "Teacher of the year" at Hamburg University. Dietrich E. Lorke has authored over 90 peer-reviewed research papers, 60 oral and poster presentations and seven book chapters. Dietrich E. Lorke is a member of the American Association of Anatomists (AAA), American Association of Clinical Anatomists (AACA), Anatomical Society (Anatomische Gesellschaft) and the Society for Neuroscience.
- Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Arafat K, Kuča K, Musilek K, Schmitt A, Petroianu GA (2008) In vitro oxime protection of human red blood cell acetylcholinesterase inhibited by diisopropyl-fluorophosphate. J Appl Toxicol. 28: 422-429
- Lorke DE, Kalasz H; Petroianu GA, Tekes K (2008) Entry of oximes into the brain: A Review. Curr Med Chem. 15(8): 743-753.
- Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah M, Nagelkerke N, Petroianu GA (2008) Effect of intrathecal pralidoxime administration upon survival of rats exposed to the organophosphate paraoxon. Neurotoxicology, 29: 663-670.
- Schumacher U, Lukacs Z, Kaltschmidt C, Freudlsperger C, Schulz D, Kompisch K, Müller R, Rudolph T, Santer R, Lorke DE, Ullrich K. (2008) High concentrations of phenylalanine stimulate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma: Implications for the pathophysiology of phenylketonuria. Neurobiol. Dis. 32: 385-390
- Lorke DE, Nurulain SM, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Musilek K, Petroianu GA. (2008) Eight new bispyridinium oximes in comparison with the conventional oximes pralidoxime and obidoxime: in vivo efficacy to protect from diisopropylfluorophosphate toxicity. J. Appl. Toxicol. 28: 920-928
- Lorke DE, Ip CW, Schumacher U (2008) Increased number of microglia in the brain of severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mice. Histochem. Cell Biol. 130: 693-697
- Petroianu GA, Lorke DE (2008) Pyridinium Oxime Reactivators of Cholinesterase Inhibited by Diisopropyl-Fluorophosphate (DFP): Predictive Value of In-Vitro Testing for In-Vivo Efficacy. Mini Rev. Med. Chem. 8: 1328-42.
- Fernandez-Cabezudo MJ, Azimullah S, Nurulain SM, Mechkarska M, Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Petroianu GA, Al-Ramadi BK (2008) The organophosphate paraoxon has no demonstrable effect on the murine immune system following subchronic low dose exposure. Int. J. Immunopathol. Pharmacol. 21(4): 891-901.
- Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Nurulain SM, Kuča K, Schmitt A, Petroianu GA (2009) Efficacy of two new asymmetric bispyridinium oximes (K-27 and K-48) in rats exposed to diisopropylfluorophosphate: comparison with pralidoxime, obidoxime, trimedoxime, methoxime, and HI-6. Toxicol. Mech. Method. 19 (4): 327-333.
- Lorke DE, Petroianu GA (2009) Response to letter - Comments on "Efficacy of two new asymmetric bispyridinium oximes (K-27 and K-48) in rats exposed to diisopropylfluorophosphate: Comparison with pralidoxime, obidoxime, trimedoxime, methoxime, and HI 6". Toxicol. Mech. Method. 19 (4): 335-335.
- Kalász H, Szöko E, Tábi T, Petroianu GA, Lorke DE, Omar A, Alafifi S, Jasem A, Tekes K (2009) Analysis of Pralidoxime in Serum, Brain and CSF of Rats. Med. Chem. 5(3): 237-241.
- Oz M, Lorke DE, Petroianu GA. Methylene Blue and Alzheimer's Disease. Biochem Pharmacol. 2009: 78(8):927-32.
- Nurulain SM, Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Shafiullah M, Kuca K, Musilek K, Petroianu GA (2009) Efficacy of Eight Experimental Bispyridinium Oximes Against Paraoxon-Induced Mortality: Comparison with the Conventional Oximes Pralidoxime and Obidoxime. Neurotox Res 16: 60-67.
- Lorke DE, Petroianu GA (2009) Minireview: does in-vitro testing of oximes help predict their in-vivo action after paraoxon exposure? J Appl Toxicol. 29(6): 459-69.
- Agarwal-Kozlowski K, Lorke DE, Habermann CR, Am Esch JS, Beck H. 2009 CT-guided blocks and neuroablation of the ganglion impar (Walther) in perineal pain: anatomy, technique, safety, and efficacy. Clin J Pain 25(7): 570-576.
- Oz M, Lorke DE, Hasan M, Petroianu GA (2011) Cellular and molecular actions of methylene blue in the nervous system. Med Res Rev 31(1): 93-117
- Lorke DE, Wai MS, Liang Y, Yew DT (2010) TUNEL and growth factor expression in the prefrontal cortex of Alzheimer patients over 80 years old. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 23(1):13-23.
- Langer RD, Usmani A, van Gorkom KN, Petroianu G, Lorke DE, Azimullah S, Nurulain SM (2010) In vitro assessment of the antibiotic efficacy of contrast media and antibiotics and their combinations at various dilutions. Br J Radiol 83(989): 394-400.
- Fernandez-Cabezudo MJ, Lorke DE, Azimullah S, Mechkarska M, Hasan MY, Petroianu GA, Al-Ramadi BK (2010) Cholinergic stimulation of the immune system protects against lethal infection by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Immunology 130(3): 388-398.
- Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah M, Kuča K, Petroianu GA (2011) Pretreatment for acute exposure to diisopropylfluorophosphate: in vivo efficacy of various acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. J Appl Toxicol 31: 515-523.
- Wai MSM, Lorke DE, Kwong WH, Zhang L, Yew DT (2010) Profiles of serotonin receptors in the developing human thalamus. Psychiatry Research 185(1-2): 238-42.
- Agarwal-Kozlowski K, Lorke DE, Habermann CR, Schulte Am Esch J, Beck H (2011) Interventional management of intractable sympathetically mediated pain by computed tomography-guided catheter implantation for block and neuroablation of the thoracic sympathetic chain: technical approach and review of 322 procedures. Anaesthesia 66(8): 699-708.
- Ashoor A, Lorke D, Nurulain SM, Al Kury L, Petroianu G, Yang S, Oz M. (2011) Effects of phenothiazine-class antipsychotics on the function of α7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Eur J Pharmacol 673(1-3): 25-32
- Petroianu GA, Lorke DE, Kalasz H (2012) Comparison of the Ability of Pyridinium Aldoximes to Reactivate Human Red Blood Cell Acetylcholinesterases Inhibited by ethyl- and methyl-paraoxon. Current Organic Chemistry 16(10): 1359-1369
- Al Mansouri AS, Lorke DE, Nurulain SM, Ashor A, Keun-Hang SY, Petroianu G, Isaev D, Oz M.(2012) Methylene Blue Inhibits the Function of α7-Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptors. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 11(6): 791-800
- Oz M, Isaev D, Lorke DE, Hasan M, Petroianu G, Shippenberg TS (2012) Methylene blue inhibits function of the 5-HT transporter. Br J Pharmacol 166(1): 168-176.
- Sadek B, Ashoor A, Mansouri AA, Lorke DE, Nurulain SM, Petroianu G, Wainwright M, Oz M (2012) N3,N7-diaminophenothiazinium derivatives as antagonists of α7-nicotinic acetylcholine receptors expressed in Xenopus oocytes. Pharmacol Res 66(3): 213-218.
- Langer RD, Lorke DE, Neidl van Gorkom KF, Petroianu G, Azimullah S, Nurulain SM, Singh S, Fuchsjäger M. (2012) In an animal model nephrogenic systemic fibrosis cannot be induced by intraperitoneal injection of high-dose gadolinium based contrast agents European J Radiol 1(10): 2562-2567.
- Lorke DE, Hasan MY, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah MS, Kuča K, Petroianu GA. (2012) Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors as Pretreatment before Acute Exposure to Organophosphates: Assessment Using Methyl-paraoxon. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 11(8): 1052-1060.
- Petroianu GA, Nurulain SM, Shafiullah M, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Lorke DE (2013) Usefulness of administration of nonorganophosphate cholinesterase inhibitors before acute exposure to organophosphates: assessment using paraoxon. J Appl Toxicol. 33(9): 894-900.
- Schreiber J, Schachner M, Schumacher U, Lorke DE. (2013) Extracellular matrix alterations, accelerated leukocyte infiltration and enhanced axonal sprouting after spinal cord hemisection in tenascin-c-deficient mice. Acta histochemica, 115(8):865-878.
- Lorke DE, Nurulain SM, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Petroianu GA. Prophylactic administration of non-organophosphate cholinesterase inhibitors before acute exposure to organophosphates: assessment using terbufos sulfone. J Appl Toxicol. 2013 Oct 18. doi: 10/1002/jat.2939. [epub ahead of print]
- Prado A, Petroianu GA, Lorke DE, Chambers JW. A trivalent approach for determining in vitro toxicology: Examination of oxime K027. J Appl Toxicol, 2014 May 22. doi: 10.1002/jat.3013 [epub ahead of print]
- Petroianu GA, Athauda G, Darvas F, Kalász H, Lorke DE. Phosphylation-induced changes in LogP. Mil. Med. Sci. Lett. (Voj. Zdrav. Listy) 2014, ( 83): 52-58.
- Petroianu GA, Nurulain SM, Hasan MY, Kuča K, Lorke DE. Reversible cholinesterase inhibitors as pre-treatment for exposure to organophosphates: assessment using azinphos-methyl. J Appl Toxicol. 2014 Sep 3. doi: 10.1002/jat.3052. [epub ahead of print]