Caban-Aleman, Carissa, MD
Title: Assistant Professor, Medical Director of Camillus Health Concern Inc.
Office: Good Shepherd Health Center
Specialty: Community Psychiatry, Public Psychiatry/Systems-based Practice, Minority Mental Health
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
Education: MD, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Practice Location: 336 NW 5th Ave, Miami, Fl 33128
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Dr Caban-Aleman is Board-certified in Psychiatry and Neurology. She is a graduate of the public psychiatry fellowship at Columbia University Medical Center, New York State Psychiatric Institute in New York. Her main interests are cultural humility, systems-based practice, advocacy for underserved psychiatric patients and the relationship between poverty, social inequality and mental health. She is fluent in Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.
Dr Caban-Aleman mentored medical students as Administrative Chief Resident of Medical & Physician Assistant Student Education at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. She pioneered a community psychiatry elective in her residency by collaborating with a latino non-profit organization that works for underserved minorities in North Philadelphia. As a diversity leadership fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, she served on the Psychiatry and Law and the Minority Mental Health Disparities councils from 2011 until 2013. During 2012, she served on the DSM-5 Task Force as an advisor for the Sleep-Wake Disorders Workgroup. Dr Caban-Aleman was recently appointed as Councilor of the APA Hispanic Caucus for Area 5 District Branch.
Dr Caban-Aleman is now the medical director for Camillus Health Concern, in partnership with our Psychiatry Department. She is committed to excellence in psychiatric treatment and medical education while targeting the systemic and social determinants of mental health. One of her goals is to implement models of care that offer population-based integrated psychiatric care in order to achieve excellence in clinical services, training and research.
- Fellowship, Public Psychiatry, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York
- Residency, Psychiatry, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- MD, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- BA, General Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Community Psychiatry
- Public Psychiatry/Systems-based practice
- Minority Mental Health
- William and Margaret E. Menin Humanistic Sensitivity Award 2011-2012. House Staff Institutional Graduation. Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
- Kenneth D. Cohen Academic Excellence Award 2013. Belmont Center for Comprehensive Treatment, Department of Psychiatry, Philadelphia, PA
- Caban-Aleman, C. (2017). 4. Cultural Humility. In Tse, J.& Yuan Volpp, S. (Eds.), A Case-Based Approach to Public Psychiatry (29-36). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Agarwal V, Cabán-Alemán C and Greenspan D: Identifying an Evidence Based Tool for Cognitive Screening in Psychiatric Patients: Literature Review, in Abstracts Presented at the 25th Annual Meeting of the American Neuropsychiatric Association. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 2014; Spring; 26(2).