Caban-Aleman, Carissa, MD
Title: Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health; Director of Behavioral Health Services at Student Health Center
Office: SHC 161
Specialty: Community Psychiatry, Public Psychiatry
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
Practice Location: 11200 SW 8th Street Miami, FL 33199
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Dr. Cabán-Alemán is Board-certified in Psychiatry and Neurology. She is a graduate of the public psychiatry fellowship at Columbia University Medical Center, New York State Psychiatric Institute in New York. Her main interests are cultural humility, systems-based practice, climate change and mental health, advocacy for social justice in medicine, and the relationship between poverty, social inequality and mental health. She is fluent in Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese.
Dr. Cabán-Alemán was Administrative Chief Resident of Medical & Physician Assistant Student Education at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. As a resident, she pioneered a community psychiatry elective and was a diversity leadership fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (APA). She served on the DSM-5 Task Force, as an advisor for the Sleep-Wake Disorders Workgroup, is a founding member of the Climate Psychiatry Alliance and an APA representative to the Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health. Dr. Cabán-Alemán is a board member of the American Association of Community Psychiatrists (AACP) and of CrearConSalud, Inc., a non-profit organization devoted to mental health education, awareness and advocacy in Puerto Rico.
Dr. Cabán-Alemán is the medical director for behavioral health at FIU Student Health Services since 2017. She is committed to excellence in psychiatric treatment and medical education while targeting the systemic and social determinants of health.
- Fellowship, Public Psychiatry, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York
- Residency, Psychiatry, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- MD, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- BA, General Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Kenneth D. Cohen Academic Excellence Award. Belmont Center for Comprehensive Treatment, Department of Psychiatry, Philadelphia, PA - 2013
- William and Margaret E. Menin Humanistic Sensitivity Award. House Staff Institutional Graduation. Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA - 2011-2012
- Caban-Aleman, C, (2019). Puerto Rico Se Levanta ("Puerto Rico Rises"): From Denial and Passivity to Action and Hope. Psychiatric Times (July 30).
- Caban-Aleman, C. (2017). 4. Cultural Humility. In Tse, J.& Yuan Volpp, S. (Eds.), A Case-Based Approach to Public Psychiatry (29-36). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.