Salgado, Carlos A., MD
Title: Assistant Professor; Chief of Educational Programs
Office: FIU Health Miami and Citrus Health Network
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Carlos A. Salgado, MD is an Assistant Professor and serves as the Chief of Educational Programs for the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health. Dr. Salgado joined the department in November 2017. In his role, Dr. Salgado is aiming to expand the current educational programs of the department in undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education. He will serve as the founding program director for the child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship at Citrus Health Network. The goal will be to develop a fellowship program that is strongly community focused combined with the academic and scholarly excellence through the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM).
Prior to joining HWCOM, Dr. Salgado served as the Program Director for the general psychiatry residency program at Community Health of South Florida, which was a newly formed program that he helped advance. Dr. Salgado also served as the Medical Director for psychiatric services and was a member of the medical leadership committee for the health center.
Dr. Salgado is board certified in adult psychiatry, child-adolescent psychiatry, and forensic psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He is a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He attended the University of Miami for his undergraduate studies. He received his medical degree from the University of Illinois at Chicago. He completed his graduate medical education training in psychiatry and child-adolescent psychiatry at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He pursued advanced training in forensic psychiatry at the Yale University Law and Psychiatry Division in New Haven, Connecticut.
Education and Training
- Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship, Yale University, New Haven, CT
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- General Psychiatry Residency, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- MD, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
- BS, Neuroscience, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry
- Salgado CA. Child and Adolescent Forensic Psychiatry, In: Psychiatry and the Law: Basic Principles, Wasser T (ed), Springer International Publishing, 2017.
- Salgado CA,Dike CC. Veterans Affairs' Problematic Evaluation of a Veteran's Claim for Service-Connected Psychiatric Disability. J Am AcadPsychiatry Law 43:1:119-121 (March 2015).
- Neurology in General Psychiatry
- Child-Adolescent Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Geiger Gibson Emerging Leader Award, Geiger Gibson Program in Community Health Policy in the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University
- Chief Resident Associate Award, Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology
- Jeffrey D. Rome Award, Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology
- J. Martin Award, Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology
- Resident Teacher of the Year Award, Mayo Clinic Department of Psychiatry and Psychology