Dr. Tomitaka is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Immunology and Nano-Medicine at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Florida International University. She received her Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Yokohama National University, Yokohama, Japan in 2011. Her research interests lie in the area of Nanobiotechnology and Magnetic Engineering. Her current research focuses on image-guided drug delivery and theranostics using multifunctional nanoparticles. She had postdoctoral trainings in the field of Biomaterials, Materials Science, and Nanomedicine. During her Ph.D. and postdoctoral training, she was awarded the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Research Fellowship and JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research Abroad.
- Nanobiotechnology and Nanomedicine
- Molecular imaging and Image-guided therapy
- Regenerative medicine
- Magnetic and optical neural interfaces
- Nanomagnetic applications including Bio-sensor
- Magneto-plasmonic and magneto-electric nanoparticles
Ph.D., Engineering, Sep. 2011
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Yokohama National University.
M.S., Engineering, Mar. 2009
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
Yokohama National University.
Awards & Fellowships
- Junior Research Investigators Award in Personalized Nanomedicine, 5th Annual Society of Personalized Nano-Medicine Symposium, Miami, USA, 2018
- Junior Research Investigators Award in Personalized Nanomedicine, 4th Annual Society of Personalized Nano-Medicine Symposium, Miami, USA, 2017
- Early Career Investigators in Personalized Nanomedicine Poster Award, 3rd Annual Society of Personalized Nano-Medicine Symposium, Miami, USA, 2016
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), JSPS Postdoctoral Fellow for Research Abroad, 2012-2014
- Research Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 2009-2012
[Peer Reviewed Publications]
- Tomitaka, S. Ota, K. Nishimoto, H. Arami, Y. Takemura, M. Nair, “Dynamic magnetic characterization and magnetic particle imaging enhancement of magnetic-gold core-shell nanoparticles,” Nanoscale, in press.
- Tomitaka, A. Kaushik, B. Kevadiya, I. Mukadam, H.E. Gendelman, K. Khalili, G. Liu, M. Nair, “Surface engineered multi-modal magnetic nanoparticles to manage CNS diseases,” Drug Discovery Today, in press.
- Kaushik, A. Yndart, V. Atluri, S. Tiwari, A. Tomitaka, P. Gupta, R.D. Jaynat, D. Alvarez-Carbonell, K. Khalili, M. Nair, “Magnetically guided non-invasive CRISPR-Cas9/gRNA delivery across blood-brain barrier to eradicate latent HIV-1,” Scientific Reports, in press.
- D. Jayant, S. Tiwari, V. Atluri, A. Kaushik, A. Tomitaka, A. Yndart, L. Colon-Perez, M. Febo, M. Nair, “Multifunctional Nanotherapeutics for the Treatment of neuroAIDS in Drug Abusers,” Scientific Reports, vol. 8, 12991, 2018.
- Tomitaka, H. Arami, Z. Huang, A. Raymond, E. Rodriguez, Y. Cai, M. Febo, Y. Takemura., M. Nair, "Hybrid magneto-plasmonic liposomes for multimodal image-guided and brain-targeted HIV treatment," Nanoscale, vol. 10, pp. 184–194, 2018.
- Ahmadivand, B. Gerislioglu, A. Tomitaka, P. Manickam, A. Kaushik, S. Bhansali, M. Nair, N. Pala, “Extreme sensitive metasensor for targeted biomarkers identification using colloidal nanoparticles-integrated plasmonic unit cells,” Biomedical Optics Express, vol. 9, pp. 373–386, 2018.
- Arami, E. Teeman, A. Troksa, H. Bradshaw, K. Saatchi, A. Tomitaka, U. Hafeli, D. Liggitt, K.M. Krishnan, “Tomographic Magnetic Particle Imaging of Cancer Targeted Nanoparticles,” Nanoscale, vol. 9, pp. 18723–18730, 2017.
- Tomitaka, H. Arami, A. Raymond, A. Yndart, A. Kaushik, R.D. Jayant, Y. Takemura, Y. Cai, M. Toborek, M. Nair, “Development of magneto-plasmonic nanoparticles for multimodal image-guided therapy to the brain,” Nanoscale, vol. 9, pp. 764–773, 2017.
- Huang, A. Tomitaka, A. Raymond, M. Nair, “Current application of CRISPR/Cas9 gene-editing technique to eradication of HIV/AIDS,” Gene Therapy, vol. 24, pp. 377–384, 2017.
- Sagar, V.S.R. Atluri, A. Tomitaka, P. Shah, A. Nagasetti, S. Pilakka-Kanthikeel, N. El-Hage, A. McGoron, Y. Takemura, M. Nair, “Coupling of transient near infrared photonic with magnetic nanoparticle for potential dissipation-free biomedical application in brain,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, 29792, 2016.
- D. Jayant, D. Sosa, A. Kaushik, V. Atluri, A. Vashist, A. Tomitaka, M. Nair, “Current status of non-viral gene therapy for CNS disorders,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 13, pp. 1433–1445, 2016.
- Vashist, A. Kaushik, A. Vashist, R.D. Jayant, A. Tomitaka, S. Ahmad, Y.K. Gupta, M. Nair, “Recent trends on hydrogel based drug delivery systems for infectious diseases,” Biomaterials Science, vol. 4, pp. 1535–1553, 2016.
- Tomitaka, Y. Takemura, Z. Huang, U. Roy, M. Nair, “Recent Advances in Magnetoliposomes as Drug Delivery Carriers,” Journal of Personalized NanoMedicine, vol. 1, pp. 51–57, 2015.
- A. Tomitaka, H. Arami, S. Gandhi, K. Krishnan, “Lactoferrin conjugated iron oxide nanoparticles for targeting brain glioma cells in magnetic particle imaging,” Nanoscale, vol. 7, pp. 16890–16898, 2015.
- A. Tomitaka, Y. Takemura, “Measurement of Specific Loss Power from Intracellular Magnetic Nanoparticles for Hyperthermia,” Journal of Personalized NanoMedicine, 1, pp. 33–37, 2015.
- Tomitaka, R. M. Ferguson, A. P. Khandhar, S. J. Kemp, S. Ota, K .Nakamura, Y. Takemura, K. M. Krishnan,“Variation of Magnetic Particle Imaging Tracer Performance with Amplitude and Frequency of the Applied Magnetic Field,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 51, 6100504, 2015.
- H. Arami, A. Khandhar, A. Tomitaka, E. Yu, P.W. Goodwill, S.M. Conolly, K.M. Krishnan, ”In vivo multimodal magnetic particle imaging (MPI) with tailored magneto/optical contrast agents,” Biomaterials, vol. 52, pp. 251-261, 2015.
- H. Abe, M. Narimatsu, T. Watanabe, T. Furumoto, Y. Yokouchi, Y. Nishijima, S. Kita, A. Tomitaka, S. Ota, Y. Takemura, T. Baba, ”Living-cell imaging using a photonic crystal nanolaser array,” Optics Express, vol. 23, pp. 17056-17066, 2015.
- Tomitaka, J. Jo, I. Aoki, Y. Tabata, “Preparation of biodegradable iron oxide nanoparticles with gelatin for magnetic resonance imaging,” Inflammation and Regeneration,vol. 34, pp. 45-55, 2014.
- Kami, T. Kitani, T. Kishida, O. Mazda, M. Toyoda, A. Tomitaka, S. Ota, R. Ishii,
- Takemura, M. Watanabe, A. Umezawa, S. Gojo, “Pleiotropic functions of magnetic nanoparticles for ex vivo gene transfer,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, vol. 10, pp. 1165–1174, 2014.
- Ota, N. Yamazaki, A. Tomitaka, T. Yamada, Y. Takemura, “Hyperthermia Using Antibody-Conjugated Magnetic Nanoparticles and Its Enhanced Effect with Cryptotanshinone,” Nanomaterials, vol. 4, pp. 319-330, 2014.
- Nakamura , K.Ueda , A. Tomitaka, T.Yamada, Y. Takemura, “Self-heating temperature and ac hysteresis of magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles and their dependence on secondary particle size,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 240-243, 2013.
- Ota, Y. Takahashi, A. Tomitaka, T. Yamada, D. Kami, M. Watanabe, Y. Takemura “Transfection efficiency influenced by aggregation of DNA/polyethylenimine max/magnetic nanoparticle complexes,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 15, 1653, pp. 1-12, 2013.
- Tomitaka, K. Ueda, T. Yamada, Y. Takemura, “Heat dissipation and magnetic properties of surface-coated Fe3O4 nanoparticles for biomedical applications,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 324, pp. 3437-3442, 2012.
- Tomitaka, T. Yamada, Y. Takemura, “Magnetic nanoparticle hyperthermia using Pluronic-coated Fe3O4 nanoparticles: an in vitro study,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 480626, 5 pages, 2012.
- Jeun, S. Lee, J.K. Kang, A. Tomitaka, K.W. Kang, Y.I. Kim, Y. Takemura, K.W. Chung, J. Kwak, S. Bae, “Physical limits of pure superparamagnetic Fe3O4 nanoparticles for a local hyperthermia agent in nanomedicine,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, 092406, pp.1–4, 2012.
- Ichiyanagi, D. Shigeoka, T. Hiroki, T. Mashino, S. Kimura, A. Tomitaka, K. Ueda, Y. Takemura, “Study on Increase in Temperature of Co-Ti Ferrite Nanoparticles for Magnetic Hyperthermia Treatment,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 532, pp.123–126, 2012.
- Tomitaka, M. Jeun, S. Bae, Y. Takemura, “Evaluation of Magnetic and Thermal Properties of Ferrite Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications,” Journal of Magnetics, vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 164–168, 2011.
- Tomitaka, T. Koshi, S. Hatsugai, T. Yamada, and Y. Takemura, “Magnetic characterization of surface-coated magnetic nanoparticles for biomedical application,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 323, pp. 1398–1403, 2011.
- Kobayashi, K. Ueda, A. Tomitaka, T. Yamada, Y. Takemura, ”Magnetic relaxation of magnetite nanoparticles dispersed in solution,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 47, pp. 4151-4154, 2011.
- Ueda, A. Tomitaka, T. Yamada, Y. Takemura, “Magnetic relaxation of magnetic nanoparticles dispersed in solution under high frequency magnetic field,” IEEJ Transactions on Fundamentals and Materials, vol. 132, pp. 813-817, 2011.
- Tomitaka, H. Kobayashi, T. Yamada, M. Jeun, S. Bae, Y. Takemura, “Magnetization and self-heating temperature of NiFe2O4 measured by applying ac magnetic field,” Journal of Physics, vol. 200, 122010, pp.1–7, 2010.
- Kobayashi, A. Hirukawa, A. Tomitaka, T. Yamada, M. Jeun, S. Bae, Y. Takemura, “Self-heating properties under ac magnetic field and their evaluation by ac/dc hysteresis loops of NiFe2O4 nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 107, 09B322, pp. 1–3, 2010.
- Jeun, S.J. Moon, H. Kobayashi, H.Y. Shin, A. Tomitaka, Y.J. Kim, Y. Takemura, S.H. Paek, K.H. Park, K.W. Chung, S. Bae, “Effects of Mn concentration on the ac magnetically induced heating characteristics of superparamagnetic MnxZn1-xFe2O4 nanoparticles for hyperthermia,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 96, Article 202511, pp. 1–3, 2010.
- Tomitaka, A. Hirukawa, T. Yamada, S. Morishita, Y. Takemura, “Biocompatibility of various ferrite nanoparticles evaluated by in vitro cytotoxicity assays using HeLa cells,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 321, pp. 1482–1484, 2009.
- Jeun, S. Bae, A. Tomitaka, Y. Takemura, K.H. Park, S.H. Paek, K.W. Chung, “Effects of particle dipole interaction on the ac magnetically induced heating characteristics of ferrite nanoparticles for hyperthermia,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, 082501, pp. 1–3, 2009.
- Tomitaka, Y. Takemura, M. Nair, “Magnetic Nanogel enable image guided therapy,” in Nanogels for Biomedical Applications, Cambridge: The Royal Society of Chemistry, 2018 pp.109–127.
- Tomitaka, H. Arami, Y. Takemura, M. Nair, “Image-guided therapy,” in Advances in Personalized Nanotherapeutics, Cham: Springer, 2017 pp.41–55.