Dr. Ajeet Kaushik received his Ph.D. (chemistry, biosensors; 2010) in collaboration with the National Physical Laboratory and Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi, India. Presently, he is working as an Assistant Professor at Centre of Personalized Nanomedicine, Department of Immunology of Florida International University (FIU), USA. He is exploring smart electro-active magnetic nanocarriers for on-demand site-specific delivery and controlled release of therapeutics across BBB to prevent HIV; a new approach towards neuroAIDS. He has worked as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate in the area of fabrication of BioMEMS-based electrochemical biosensors for biomarker detection using nanostructures at Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of FIU. He has also worked at Chungnam National University, Deajeon, Korea as Visiting Researcher and at Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland as a Research Assistant. He has published 70+ international research papers jointly in the area of nanostructured platforms for biosensor and drug delivery applications. In the course of my research, I have been engaged in design and development of various electro-active nanostructures for electrochemical biosensor and nanomedicne for health care.
- Over 10 years of experience for designing and development of nanostructured platforms for various applications
- Over 2 years of experience in the area of personalized nano-medicine for health care.
- Exploring Nano-Cure for HIV
- Design and development of electro-magnetic nanocarriers for drug delivery
- On-demand controlled site-specific drug delivery.
- Delivery of Anti-HIV drug across blood brain barrier (BBB) to prevent NeuroAIDS.
- Exploring nanomedicine for personalized heath care
- Exploring tools for HIV incidence
- Over10 years of experience in the area of electrochemical biosensor for point-of-care.
- Fabrication, characterization and optimization of electrochemical biosensor
- Electrochemical characterization and analysis of nanomaterials and biosensors using Cyclic Voltammetry, Differential Pulse Voltammetry, Electrochemical Impedance techniques
- Preparation and characterization of electro-active nanostructured materials
- Analysis of biosensors device properties and reliability
- Development of miniaturized biosensing device
- Exploring POC sensing of biomarkers
- Proven project management and organizational skills with experience in assuming ownership of assigned tasks, successfully completing the tasks, and mentoring/supervising junior-level scientists.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively as a member of multidisciplinary research teams.
- Nanotechnology for therapeutics Applications
- Nano Carriers for drug delivery
- Nanomedicine, Personalized Nano-medicine
- Nanoformulation for therapeutics
- Electrochemistry, Electrochemical biosensor
- Fabrication and optimization of electrochemical biosensor
- Synthesizing and characterizing electrochemically active nonmaterials for electrochemical biosensor
- Fabrication and characterization of nanostructured materials for Gas sensor
- Wearable sensor for point-of-care application
- BioMEMS and Micro/Nano fabrication systems
Ph. D. (Chemistry), 2010
Topic: Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Nanocomposite for Electrochemical Bio-Sensing Application
Department of Chemistry, Jamia Milia Islamia and National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi, India
M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry), 2002 C. C. S. Univ. Meerut (U P), India
B.Sc. (Phys. Chem. Math.), 2000 C. C. S. Univ. Meerut (U P), India
Research cum Industrial Experience
- Worked as a Project Assistant (II) in a project entitled “NIR Spectroscopic Studies of Cellulosic Materials” with supervision of Dr. Ranjana Mehrotra, Scientist-F (Optical Radiation Standards) at National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi, since June 28, 2004 to August 2006. The project was been sponsored by Aditya Birla Management Corporation Ltd. (ABMCL), Grasim – Nagda.
- At National Physical Laboratory along with the above project work, I also worked on the application of Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy in the characterization of malignant tissue correspond to the normal tissue of cancer during the growth of cancer tumor.
- I worked as Senior Research Fellow (April 2007 to march 2010) under the supervision of
Dr. B. D. Malhotra, National Physical Laboratory, India in the area of Organic-Inorganic Nano-bio-composites for Biosensor Application particularly relating in clinical and non-clinical research such as cholesterol, glucose, urea, food borne mycotoxins, pyrethroinds and pathogens. I have also synthesized nanostructured conducting polymers, metal oxides and their hybrid nanocomposites for immunosensor applications.
- I worked as a Project Assistant (III, June, 2010 to Dec. 2010) in a project entitled “Department of Science Technology Centre of Biomolecular Electronics” at National Physical Laboratory, India with the supervision of Dr. B. D. Malhotra. Herein, I was involved in the development of optical and electrical cholesterol biosensor.
- I have completed my Post-Doc at National Centre of Sensors Research, Biomedical Diagnostic Institute, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland, where I worked with Prof. Tony Killard on development of “Smart Integrated Miniaturized Sensors (SIMS) System.
- I completed Post-doctoral Associate at BioMEMS and Microsystem Fabrication Laboratory, Electrical and Computing Engineering of FIU with Prof. Bhansali to explore nano-enabling biosensing strategies for cortisol monitoring. We developed a miniaturized cortisol sensing system for POC application.
- I joined Center of Personalized NanoMedicine, Department of Immunology, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine of FIU as a Post-Doctoral Associate with Prof. Nair to explore nano-carriers for CNS delivery and on-demand release of therapeutic agents for the treatment of NeuroAIDS.
Awards and Achievements:
- International Agency of Standard and Rating (IASR) recognition as among World's 500 Most Influential Nanotechnologist for the Year 2015 on Earth.
- Certificate of Excellence Research, provided by 21st Society of Neuroimmune Pharmacology (SNIP)
- “NanoScience Award” dedicated to Prof. Joseph Wang by Cognizure-Publishing Division.
- Senior Research Fellowship awarded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India
- Foreign Researcher at Centre for the Nanobioengineering and Spintronics (nBEST), Chungnam National University, Daejeon-305-764 Korea.
- Best poster presentation award on Science Day held at National Physical Laboratory, India, 2009.
- Team member of Science Foundation (NSF), Nano-engineering Research Center (ERC-1160483) for Advanced Self-Powered System of Integrated Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST).
Nanobiotechnology for Sensing Applications: Laboratory to Field, Apple Academic Press, CRC Press, Tayler and Francis: Group (2015-In press)
Edited by: Ajeet Kaushik and Chandra K Dixit
- Ajeet Kaushik, Ariel Ruiz, Shekhar Bhansali, Madhavan Nair, Miniaturized Sensing Devices for Biomarkers Detection, Journal of Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 2014, 5:4.
- Ajeet Kaushik, Editorial; Open Journal of Applied Biosensor: Point-of-Care Biosensing and Environment Monitoring, Open Journal of Applied Biosensor, 2, 95-96, 2013.
- Ajeet Kaushik, S. Tiwari, R.D. Jayant, A. Matry, M. Nair, "Towards Detection and Diagnostic of Ebola Virus Diseases at Point-of-Care" Biosensors and Bioelectronics-Accepted 2015.
- Ajeet Kaushik, R. Kumar, S. K. Arya, Madhavan Nair, B. D. Malhotra, Shekhar Bhansali, "Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Nanocomposites Based Gas Sensors for Environment Monitoring", Chemical Reviews (Impact Factor 46), 115 (11) 4571-4606.
- Adriana Yndart, Ajeet Kaushik, Marisela Agudelo, Andrea Raymond, Venkata Atluri, Shailendra Saxena, Madhavan Nair, “Investigation of Neuropathogenesis in HIV-1 Clade B & C Infection Associated with IL-33 and ST2 Regulation" ACS Chemical Neuroscience:-Accepted-2015.
- Ariel Ruiz, Madhavan Nair, Ajeet Kaushik*, Recent update in NanoCure of NeuroAIDS, Science Letters, 4: 172, 2015 (NanoScience Award Paper)
- Ajeet Kaushik, A. Yndart, R. D. Jayant, V. Sagar, S. Bhansali, M. Nair. "An Electrochemical sensing method for point-of-care psychological stress biomarker detection of HIV positive patients" International Journal of Nanomedicine, 10, 2015, 677-685.
- Rahul Dev Jayant, Venkata S R Atluri, Vidya Sagar, Marisela Agudelo, Ajeet Kaushik and Madhavan Nair "Sustained Release NanoART Formulation for the Treatment of NeuroAIDS", International Journal of Nanomedicine" 10, 2015, 1077-1093.
- P. K. Vabbina, Ajeet Kaushik, S. Bhansali, N. Pala, “Electrochemical Cortisol Immunosensors Based on Sonochemically Synthesized Zinc Oxide 1D Nanorods and 2D Nanoflakes”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics-63, 2015, 124-130
- Ajeet Kaushik, R. Baboria, E. Huey, S. Bhansali, M. Nair, “Silica Nanowires: Growth, Integration and Sensing Applications”, Microchimica Acta, 181, 2014, 1759-1780.
- Ajeet Kaushik, R.D. Jayant, V. Sagar, M. Nair, “The Potential of Magneto-Electric Nanocarriers for Drug Delivery”, Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, 11, 2014, 1635-1646.
- A.F. D. Cruz, N. Norena, Ajeet Kaushik, S. Bhansali, “A Low-Cost Miniaturized Potentiostat for Point-of-Care Diagnosis” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 62, 2014, 249-254
- P. Shah, Ajeet Kaushik, X. Zhu, C. Zhang, Chen-Zhong Li, “Chip Based Single Cell Analysis for Nanotoxicity Assessment” Analyst, 139 (9) 2014, 2088-2098.
- Ajeet Kauhik, A. Vasudev, S. K. Pasha, S. K. Arya, S. Bhansali, Recent Advances in Cortisol Sensing for Point-of-Care Application, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 53, 2014, 499-512.
- Ajeet Kaushik, A. Vasudev, S. Arya, S. Bhansali, Mediator and label free estimation of stress biomarkers using electrophoretically deposited Ag@AgO-polyaniline hybrid nanocomposite, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 50, 2013. 35-41.
- K. Luongo, A. Holton, Ajeet Kauhik, P. Spence, B. Ng, R. Deschenes, S. Sundram, S. Bhansali, A Microfluidic Device for Trapping and Monitoring of 3D Multi-Cell Spheroids Using Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy, Biomicrofluidics, 7, 034108 (2013).
- A. Vasudev, Ajeet Kaushik, Y. Tomizawa, N. Norena, S. Bhansali, “An LTCC-based microfluidic system for label-free, electrochemical detection of cortisol”, Sensors And Actuators B; Chemical B, 182, 2013, 139-146.
- A. Vasudev, Ajeet Kaushik, S. Bhansali, Electrochemical Immunosensor for Label Free Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Detection, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 39, 2013, 300.
- A. Dey, Ajeet Kaushik, S. K. Arya, S. Bhansali "Mediator Free highly sensitive Polyaniline-Gold Hybrid Nanocomposite Based Immunosensor for Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Detection" Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2012, 22, 14763
- C.K. Dixit, Ajeet Kaushik, “Nano-structured Arrays for Multiplex Analyses and Lab-On-A-Chip Applications” Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications, 419, 2012, 316–320.
- P. R. Solanki, Ajeet Kaushik, V. Varun, B.D. Malhotra, Recent Advances in Nanostructured Metal Oxides Based Biosensors, Nature Asia Materials (Impact Factor 10), 3, 2011, 17-24.
- P. R. Solanki, Ajeet Kaushik, T. Manaka, M. K. Pandey, M. Iwamoto and B. D. Malhotra, Self-Assembled Monolayer based Impedimetric Platform for Food Borne Mycotoxin Detection, Nanoscale, 2, 2811-2817 (2010).
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, M.K. Pandey, K. Kaneto, S. Ahmad and B. D. Malhotra, Carbon Nanotubes - Chitosan nanobiocomposite for Immunosensor, Thin Solid Films, 519, 2010, 1160-1166.
- Ajeet kaushik, P. R. Solanki, K. Kaneto, C. G. Kim, S. Ahmad, B.D. Malhotra, Nanostructured Iron Oxide Platform for Impedimetric Cholesterol Detection, Electroanalysis, 22, 2010, 22, 1045 – 1055.
- A.A. Ansari, Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki and B.D. Malhota “Nanostructured ZnO for mycotoxin detection”, Bioelectrochemistry, 77, 2010, 75-81.
- P. R. Solanki, Ajeet Kaushik, P. Chavhan, S.N. Maheswari and B.D. Malhotra, “Nanostructured Zirconium Oxide Based Genosensor for E. coli Detection”, Electrochemistry Communications, 11, 2009, 2272-2277.
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, M. K. Pandey, S. Ahmad and B. D. Malhotra, “Cerium Oxide-Chitosan based Nanobiocomposite for Food Borne Mycotoxin Detection”, Applied Physics Letters, 95, 173703 (2009).
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, K.N. Sood, S. Ahmad and B. D. Malhotra “Fumed Silica Nanoparticles-Chitosan Nanobiocomposite for Ochratoxin-A Detection”, Electrochemistry Communications, 11 (2009) 1919–1923.
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, A. A.Ansari, B.D. Malhotra and S. Ahmad ”Iron oxide-chitosan hybrid nanobiocomposite based nucleic acid sensor for pyrethroid detection”, Biochemical Engineering Journal 46, 2009, 132-140.
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, A. A. Ansari, G. Sumana, S. Ahmad and B. D. Malhotra, ”Iron Oxide-Chitosan Nanobiocomposite for Urea Sensor”, Sensors & Actuators B Chemical, 138, 2009, 572–580.
- A. A. Ansari, Ajeet Kaushik, P.R. Solanki and B. D. Malhotra, “Electrochemical Cholesterol Sensor Based on Tin Oxide – Chitosan Nano-biocomposite Film”, Electroanalysis, 21, 2009, 965 – 972.
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, A. A. Ansari, S. Ahmad and B.D. Malhotra, “A nanostructured cerium oxide film based immunosensor for mycotoxin detection”, Nanotechnology, 20, 2009, 055105.
- P.R. Solanki, Ajeet Kaushik, A.A. Ansari, G. Sumana, B.D. Malhotra, “ZnO-Chitosan Nanobiocomposite Film for Urea Biosensor”, Applied Physics Letters, 93, 2008, 163903.
- Ajeet Kaushik, R. Khan, P.R. Solanki, P. Pandey, S. Ahmad and B. D. Malhotra, “Iron oxide nanoparticle-chitosan composite based glucose biosensor”. Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 24, 2008, 676–683.
- Ajeet Kaushik, P. R. Solanki, A.A. Ansari, S. Ahmad and B.D. Malhotra, “Chitosan-Iron Oxide Nanobiocomposite Based Immunosensor for Ochratoxin-A”, Electrochemistry Communications, 10, 2008, 1364-1368.