Foster, Adriana E., MD
Title: Professor, Vice Chair of Clinical and Research Programs
Office: AHC1 343
Specialty: Adult psychiatry with focus on treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder
Languages Spoken: English, Romanian
Education: MD, "Carol Davila" University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
Practice Location: FIU Health Broward,Fort Lauderdale, FL.Citrus Health Network, Hialeah, FL
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Dr Adriana Foster is a Board Certified adult psychiatrist and Fellow of American Psychiatric Association. Dr Foster started to work with people with severe mental illness during her residency at Baylor College of Medicine. As a faculty member at Baylor College of Medicine, she worked in inpatient, outpatient and assertive community treatment teams, performed ECT and was Medical Director of the Integrated Mental Health Clinic at the Michael E DeBakey VA in Houston, TX. At Medical College of Georgia (MCG), Dr Foster treated patients with a wide variety of disorders in inpatient, outpatient and emergency room setting at Georgia Regents Medical Center and in community setting at Serenity Behavioral Health in Augusta, Georgia.
Dr Foster began her research work by collaborating in clinical studies of schizophrenia at Michael E DeBakey Houston VA Medical Center. At MCG, Dr Foster continued to participate as co-investigator in NIMH-funded and industry-sponsored studies of treatment and genetics of schizophrenia. Dr Foster was the faculty advisor for community service grants awarded to MCG medical students by American Psychiatric Foundation in order to assist people who are homeless access mental health services. Dr Foster completed an education research fellowship at Georgia Regents University's Education Innovation Institute. She was funded by American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Arnold P. Gold Foundation to study applications of virtual patients in suicide risk assessment and teaching empathy in medical interview.
Dr Foster's educational interests span from teaching psychiatric interview and psychopharmacology in psychiatry residency programs, to integrating simulation in undergraduate medical education. At MCG, Dr Foster was the Psychiatry Clerkship Director and implemented an online curriculum to teach medical students in five campuses across the state of Georgia. Dr Foster is a Co-Chair of the Clinical Simulation Taskforce for the Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry (ADMSEP) and a reviewer for scientific journals and national meetings.
Education and Training
Fellowship, Education Research, Education Innovation Institute, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
Residency, Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Residency, Internal Medicine, Caritas Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
MD, “Carol Davila” University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
- Foster A, Chaudhary N, Kim T, Cordar A, Borish M, Lok B, Waller J and Buckley P, Using Virtual Patients to Teach Empathy: A Randomized Controlled Study to Enhance Medical Students' Empathic Communication, in press.
- Foster A, Robb A, Cordar A, Chaudhary N, Noseworthy D, Lok B. Denise: A Virtual Patient. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2015. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10145
- Foster, A., Johnson T, Liu H et al, Student Assessment of Psychiatry Clinical Simulation Teaching Modules, Medical Teacher. 2015,37: 3:300.
- Foster A, Chaudhary N, Murphy J, et al, The Use of Simulation to Teach Suicide Risk Assessment to Health Professions Trainees – Rationale, Methodology and a Proof of Concept Demonstration with a Virtual Patient,Academic Psychiatry. 2014, DOI 10.1007/s40596-014-0185-9.
- Foster A, Hilton, S, Pires C, et al, Measuring Attitudes towards People with Mental Illness and People who are Homeless: Is a Joint Instrument Needed? In Homelessness: Prevalence, Impact of Social Factors and Mental Health Challenges, NOVA Science Publications, 2014, 223-250.
- Foster A, Buckley, P, Schizophrenia, in Metabolism of Human Disease, Organ Physiology and Pathophysiology, 2014.
- Foster A, and Buckley P., Pharmacogenetics and Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia, inTreatment Refractory Schizophrenia, a Clinical Conundrum, 2014.