Foster, Adriana E., MD
Title: Professor, Vice Chair of Clinical and Research Programs
Office: AHC1 335A
Specialty: Adult psychiatry with focus on treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder
Languages Spoken: English, Romanian
Education: MD, "Carol Davila" University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
FIU Health, Ft Lauderdale and Miami, FL, Citrus Health Network, Hialeah, FL
FIU Health Broward,
Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Citrus Health Network,
Department(s): Psychiatry and Behavioral Health
Dr Adriana Foster is a Board Certified adult psychiatrist and Fellow of American Psychiatric Association. Dr Foster started to work with people with severe mental illness during her residency at Baylor College of Medicine. Later, as a faculty member at Baylor, she worked in inpatient, outpatient and assertive community treatment teams, performed ECT and was Medical Director of the Integrated Mental Health Clinic at the Michael E DeBakey VA in Houston, TX. At Medical College of Georgia (MCG), Dr Foster treated patients with a wide variety of disorders at Georgia Regents Medical Center and in community setting at Serenity Behavioral Health in Augusta, Georgia.
Dr Foster participated as co-investigator in NIMH-funded and industry-sponsored studies of treatment and genetics of schizophrenia at Baylor and MCG. Dr Foster completed an education research fellowship at Georgia Regents University's Education Innovation Institute and received funding from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Arnold P. Gold Foundation to study applications of virtual patients in suicide risk assessment and teaching empathy in medical interview. At MCG, Dr Foster was the Psychiatry Clerkship Director and implemented a psychiatry online curriculum at five campuses across the state of Georgia. Dr Foster is a member and past Co-Chair of the Clinical Simulation (CSI) Committee of the Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry (ADMSEP), recently awarded The Award for Creativity in Psychiatric Education by the American College of Psychiatrists.
At FIU, Dr Foster treats patients in FIU Health outpatient practice and at Citrus Health Network, teaches medical students and Citrus psychiatry residents and mentors junior faculty. Dr Foster is the co-investigator and Training Director for the HRSA-funded FIU Behavioral Health Workforce Education and Training, a hybrid course taught to FIU Masters students in behavioral health professions, in collaboration with four community-based sites in Miami-Dade County.
Dr. Foster actively publishes articles, is a reviewer and an Editorial Board member for peer-reviewed journals and writes book chapters.
Education and Training
Fellowship, Education Research, Education Innovation Institute, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
Residency, Psychiatry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Residency, Internal Medicine, Caritas Hospital, Bucharest, Romania
MD, “Carol Davila” University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
- Schwartz J., Somaiya M., Cosner C, Foster A., Natural History of Suicidal Ideation: Insights from the Electronic Health Record, technol. behav. sci. 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s41347-017-0037-z
- Foster A, Buckley PF, Lauriello J, Looney S, Schooler N, Combination Antipsychotic Therapies: An Analysis From a Longitudinal Pragmatic Trial. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2017, 37(5), 595-599.
- Foster A., Nisar A, and Sanchez G, Trieu M. Genetics and Antipsychotic Response in Schizophrenia: an Update. Current behavioral neuroscience reports. 2017 June 4(3), 221-230. DOI 10.1007/s40473-017-0119-4
- Foster A., Trieu M., Azutillo E., Halan S. and Lok B., Teaching Empathy in Healthcare: from Mirror Neurons to education Technology, technol. behav. sci. 2017;2(2): 94–105, doi:10.1007/s41347-017-0019-1.
- Griffeth BT, Brooks WB, Foster A. A psychiatric-specific entrustable professional activity for the evaluation of prospective psychiatric residents: towards a national standard.MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2017;13:10584. https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10584
- Alonso M, Jardon M, Pizarro M, Castellanos D, Aponte X, Esposito K, Foster A, The Community Value of Academic Psychiatry: The Development of a Psychiatry Residency Program in a Federally Qualified Health Center, Academic Psychiatry, June 2, 2017, DOI 10.1007/s40596-017-0724-2
- Hawa R, Liu H, Klapheke M, Briscoe G, Foster A, Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry Clinical Simulation Initiative Years 1-6: An Innovative Technology Blueprint for Medical Education, Academic Psychiatry, 2017, 41(3), 408-10.
- Foster A, Chaudhary N, Kim, T, Waller J, Borish M, Cordar, A, Lok B, and Buckley PF , Using Virtual Patients to Teach Empathy: A Randomized Controlled Study to Enhance Medical Students’ Empathic Communication, Simulation in Healthcare: The Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare 2016, 11(3), 181–189.
- Foster A, Robb A, Cordar A, Chaudhary N, Noseworthy D, Lok B. Denise: A Virtual Patient. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2015. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10145
- Foster, A., Johnson T, Liu H et al, Student Assessment of Psychiatry Clinical Simulation Teaching Modules, Medical Teacher. 2015,37: 3:300.
Adult psychiatry with focus on treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder