The HWCOM Facilities Planning and Operations Department works in close collaboration with the University’s central Facilities Management and their divisions of planning, construction, maintenance and operations and is responsible for planning, space management, access control and security within the College of Medicine. The Department is responsible for:
- Long range facilities planning and implementation of all capital projects (new construction and remodeling/renovations) providing input, guidance, and technical support inclusive of facilities design criteria and assessment of comparable facilities at other institutions as benchmarks for development.
- Collection and assembly of space data required for accreditation submissions to the LCME (Liaison Committee on Medical Education) for the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, ARCPA (Accreditation Review Committee for Physician Assistant) for the Master in Physician Assistant Studies, and related entities serving as content expert on facilities for LCME and ARCPA accreditation teams visits providing the necessary input for accreditation submittals
- Coordination with FIU Facilities Construction Project Managers during design and construction of projects undertaken on behalf of the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine and related entities.
- Selection, procurement and installation of furniture and equipment installed at all HWCOM facilities.
- Coordination with the university's Office of Academic Space Management on departmental space allocations for the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine and its related entities to properly accommodate designated programs' space needs, management, coordination and approval of all space assignments and relocations.
- Provide HWCOM control over key requests authorizing issuance of keys by FIU Facilities Maintenance & Operations Key Bank to faculty and staff. Provide, restrict or rescind access rights to electronic access control devices and systems for entry to HWCOM facilities to faculty, staff and students to eligible areas and/or for specific time frames or events.
- HWCOM Public Service Technicians (PST) who provide non-emergency police services for all HWCOM facilities to ensure the safety and security of students, faculty, and staff by conducting regular patrols of buildings.
Facilities Planning and Operations staff strive to develop flexible educational spaces capable of evolving as technologies and curriculum advance, improving educational outcomes.