Feedback form - Please send us Feedback
Breadcrumbs

Graduate Assistantships


Stipend and Tuition

The PhD Program in Biomedical Sciences provides Graduate Assistantships to qualified students on a competitive basis.  A graduate assistantship provides a stipend of $23,460 annually, tuition waiver and health insurance.  Students who receive graduate assistantships must register for a minimum of nine credits during the fall and spring term and six credits for the summer term.  Graduate students who maintain a cumulative graduate GPA ≥ 3.0 will be eligible for continuing support.

Responsibilities of Graduate Assistantship Recipients

A full graduate assistantship requires 20 hours of work per week.  A Graduate Assistant may teach, conduct research, or have other responsibilities that contribute to the student's professional development.  Graduate Assistantships are classified as Graduate Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants or Graduate Research Assistants.  A graduate assistantship recipient will perform general duties that support the academic endeavor of either a basic science and/or clinical medicine faculty.  For example:

  • Perform literature search and summarize the specific research topics
  • Assist faculty with presentations for lectures and seminars
  • Assist clinical faculty in running advanced patient scenarios
  • Assist faculty in research, documentation, experimentation and related activities
  • Assist faculty with other logistical and organizational matters
  • Other duties as required
Fees

Students with graduate assistantships are responsible for per credit tuition fees, term fees, and other miscellaneous fees, as described in this link.

Medical Insurance Contribution

Students enrolled in the PhD Program as Graduate Assistants will receive a 75% contribution towards the student health insurance plan.  The Graduate Assistant is responsible for the remaining 25% of the premium, which will be deducted from their biweekly paycheck.  For more information on the plan and benefits, please click here.

Taxes

Any portion of stipend or fellowship used for living expenses is subject to U.S. taxes.  The interpretation and implementation of the tax laws is the domain of the Internal Revenue Service.  Students should consult a tax expert for advice. 

For international students, the University is required to withhold taxes on the portion of the fellowship used for living expenses unless there is a tax treaty between the student’s country and the United States.

Intramural Fellowships

The University Graduate School is committed to excellence in graduate education and offers intramural fellowships.  Please check this link for information: http://gradschool.fiu.edu/fellowships.shtml.

Extramural Fellowships

Graduate students are encouraged to apply for extramural funding.  Please check this link for more information:  http://gradschool.fiu.edu/graduate-funding-fellowships.shtml.

Outside Employment

Students with graduate assistantships are considered to be fully engaged.  They are held to a high degree of accountability and are not permitted to have other jobs while they are in the program.

Conference Travel Funding

Graduate students are advised to attend and present their research findings at scientific conferences and meetings.  For travel funds, students may check with the sponsors of the conference they wish to attend and professional associations in their field.  Students may also apply for conference travel funds through FIU's Graduate and Professional Student Committee and from their own department.  For more information, please click the following link: http://gpsc.fiu.edu/.

Termination of the Graduate Assistantship

Graduate Assistants with a cumulative graduate GPA below 3.0 or who fail to comply with university policies regarding graduate assistantships will have their assistantship revoked.  Graduate assistants who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress may also have their assistantship cancelled.  Cancellation of an assistantship within an active term will result in reversal of the tuition fee waiver, i.e., the student will become liable for all fees and applicable resident or non-resident tuition.  Cancellation of an assistantship may also result in termination of the subsidized health insurance.  Employment may be terminated at any time if work performance is unsatisfactory.