The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is committed to training the most ethical, culturally sensitive and highly qualified physicians for our community. When you give to the Wertheim College of Medicine you invest in the future of South Florida's health care by supporting a curriculum unlike no other in the country. Our students will be uniquely trained to meet the health care needs of South Florida's underserved communities. From their first year in medical school, they will work in the community to provide much needed care to households in Miami Dade County.
FIU's doctors will transform healthcare in South Florida and create a healthier future for all.
Major gifts from prominent South Florida philanthropists have helped secure the future success of the College of Medicine. These major gifts with matching grants include:
- $40 million from Dr. Herbert Wertheim to establish an endowment to support and create student scholarships, professorships, faculty research and educational enhancement projects. In recognition of the financial and visionary contributions made by Dr. Wertheim and the Dr. Herbert and Nicole Wertheim Family Foundation, the College has been named the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine. Read more»
- $20 million from Miami's Leon family to establish the Benjamín León, Jr. Family Center for Geriatric Research and Education and the León Medical Centers Eminent Scholars Chair in Geriatrics. Read more»
- $10 million from the Green Family Foundation to endow and name the Green Family Foundation Medicine and Society Program. Read more»
- $10 million from the North Dade Medical Foundation to establish an endowment that will provide merit-based scholarships for medical students who are Miami-Dade or Broward County residents. The matching funds will be used to establish endowed professorship chairs.
- $6 million from the Batchelor Foundation for the college's Green Family Foundation Medicine & Society Program.
- $4 million from Miami Children's Hospital to endow the Miami Children's Hospital chair.
- $2 million to support college operations from the College of Medicine Founders, a group of business, civic and educational leaders
For additional information about how you can support the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine please contact:Susan R Jay, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President of Development/
Assistant Dean for Medical Advancement
Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Florida International University
11200 S.W. 8th Street, AHC2 680
Miami, Florida 33199
Other contributors include our Wertheim College of Medicine Founders and the following donors as of May 9, 2011:
Arnold P. Gold Foundation
|Lefton Family Foundation, Inc.
Mr. Alfredo M. Lopez
Cristina Lopez-Peñalver, MD
Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation, Inc.
Mr. Roberto L. Machado
MCCI Group Holdings, LLC
Mercy Hospital Medical Staff
Jack J. Michel, MD and Larkin Community Hospital
Morgan Keegan and Company, Inc.
Ms. Shirlee Paganetti
Manuel A. Peñalver, MD
Noreen Gordon/Sablotsky Family Supporting Foundation, Inc.
Rinker Family Foundation, Inc.
Ruden McClosky Smith Schuster & Russell, P.A.
Steven Scott, MD
Mr. Alfredo Sesana
Albert Tano, MD
Roberto Tuchman, MD and Laurie Tuchman
The Valverde Family
Mr. Ramon Wainer
The Ware Foundation
Westminster Barrington Foundation